Options

I Hear You Knocking But You Can't Come In....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 29, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
.....Come Back Tomorrow Night And Try Again.

You older rock n' rollers may recognize that verse from an early Little Richard song. I think I've gotten hung up in a time warp. That song was the first thing to pop into my mind when I saw this scene.

Fernandina-047-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I think it's a nice grab (a little straighter perhaps)

for the architectural buffs; a good example of putting a door anywhere
    Rags
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    The first step looks like a big one ! I don't see to many doors without doors knobs. I like the ghost signs as well , great capture !
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,932 moderator
    edited April 26, 2012
    ...and I want it painted black. mwink.gif

Nicely seen. Actually, I think a little more black would help make this pop. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    I think it's a nice grab (a little straighter perhaps)

for the architectural buffs; a good example of putting a door anywhere

I appreciate the visit, Rags. Your comments are always valued.

If you'll take a good look, the door is absolutely vertical. When you're shooting 100 year old brick buildings ( this one was built circa 1904 ), you're not likely to find many where all the bricks are still horizontal across. You just have to decide what lines you want squared up and let the rest fall where they may.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    The first step looks like a big one ! I don't see to many doors without doors knobs. I like the ghost signs as well , great capture !

Actually, there are presently no steps below this door...it's about a 2 1/2 foot drop to the ground. The missing door knob is rather amusing....ain't going to be any sneaking in through this portal.

Be well,

Tom
  • Options
    N3QWN3QW Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    One of my favorite subjects too. Red doors.

Doug
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    Richard wrote: »

Nicely seen. Actually, I think a little more black would help make this pop. deal.gif

Thanks for looking in, Richard.

Geeez....any more pop from this shot and I'd have to take to wearing a welder's helmet.:D

Take it easy,

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    N3QW wrote: »
    One of my favorite subjects too. Red doors.

Doug

Me and you, Doug. I scour the countryside looking to find the things. Been pretty successful at it, too.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I appreciate the visit, Rags. Your comments are always valued.

If you'll take a good look, the door is absolutely vertical. When you're shooting 100 year old brick buildings ( this one was built circa 1904 ), you're not likely to find many where all the bricks are still horizontal across. You just have to decide what lines you want squared up and let the rest fall where they may.

Take care,

Tom

Ha!.... Well said
    Rags
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I Hear You Knocking But You Can't Come In....
    Richard wrote: »

Good one Tom... & Richard
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    wfeller wrote: »
    Good one Tom... & Richard

Thanks for the visit, Walter. It's good to hear from you.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    What a cool find .. love the title too. Fits perfectly since there's no knob on the door or steps to get up to it.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    What a cool find .. love the title too. Fits perfectly since there's no knob on the door or steps to get up to it.

You know, Mary, I've passed by this old ( very old ) building for years. Honestly, every time I would see that door, it made me think of that old Little Richard song. So, I finally decided to try and take a picture that matched my vision.

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    As mentioned nice find thumb.gif Very time warp. And I want to thank you buddy cause I've had the song playing in my head since I've seen the picture. I know Richard mentioned and you replied... still... this shot kinda is offering itself for a treatment, even just a little one bowdown.gif Just saying :D:D:D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    As mentioned nice find thumb.gif Very time warp. And I want to thank you buddy cause I've had the song playing in my head since I've seen the picture. I know Richard mentioned and you replied... still... this shot kinda is offering itself for a treatment, even just a little one bowdown.gif Just saying :D:D:D

You know, Michael, your comments emphasize an interesting question: how far from reality is a photographer willing to take an image, if he is inclined to even do so at all?

Richard sent me a PM wherein he included a re-work of my image....staged with a stronger black point, geared toward giving it, as he says, more pop. In truth, this scene with the door was fairly bland and washed out, due primarily to the quality of light that was falling on it. I worked with it a little bit in PP to bring out some saturation and contrast that made it appear consistent with how it looks under most conditions. As someone who prefers to stay as close to his vision as possible, that was as far as I wanted to take it.

Richard's version reflected his desire for " more black " and was, I'm sure, more in tune with his wanting more pop. My trouble with taking it as far as Richard did is that I have never seen that scene look like he presented it....it just doesn't have that strong of a black presence. I guess the answer to the question is this; we each work with an image to some extent, if even at all, until it conforms to our standards and perceptions and then we stop. Hopefully, where we stop gives the viewer an accurate look at the same thing as we saw it.

Tom

PS None of my feelings I exprees above have any application when I'm wearing my RUST JUNKIE hat. In that situation, I don't acknowledge any limits.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Its is an interesting question. Just had to stir the pot mwink.gif ornery as I am :hide hence the 3 smileys.

Did you get a chance to thumb through this a little piece found in dgrin Landscapes recently? http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=219307

Oh to pop or not to pop... That is the question

Heres to all stops out my friend and saving the hammer down for Rust. Hear hear friday.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    simple complex surreal subtle ...and you have made it your door

iloveyou.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix