Options

My experience with D700 over D300s

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited April 28, 2012 in Cameras
This is to help those who are on the fence about going FF or not...or going D700/D800 route or not.

I have a D300s and have used it for a while. Then I bought a used D700.

With my D300s, I was never happy at ISO 800 and above. On the D700...I keep it at ISO800 as default.

Let me tell you...my D300s has been sitting in my bag for the longest time...over 4 months now.

I am not sure what the hell it is about the D700, but I love the pictures coming out of them, especially at high ISO. Oh and the wider angle is awesome.

So there...from a person that used to argue that you can do the same with DX that you can with FF.

Btw, not sure how the new D300s replacement will do to ISO range...but I love the D700! :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    yeah, you never really know what you are missing until you actually try what you are missing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Welcome to the wonderful world of full frame. I've been using the D300, D3 and D3s for a few years now and the D300 only gets broken out when I really need reach and I have good light. I also hesitate to go over ISO 800 with the D3.

The difference in IQ really shows up when I process the images. I can sharpen the FF images much more agressively than the DX images.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    Yes I am not even sure if my D300s has the time correct...so so long since I started that up! :P Sorry D300s...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    The only thing I love about DX that FX will simply never be able to compete with is focus point spread. The D300s viewfinder is COVERED in focus points. I love that for fast action and also for various types of adventure / nature photography.

However, indeed as a working professional shooting weddings and portraits, my D300 has been collecting dust...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    The only thing I love about DX that FX will simply never be able to compete with is focus point spread. The D300s viewfinder is COVERED in focus points. I love that for fast action and also for various types of adventure / nature photography.

However, indeed as a working professional shooting weddings and portraits, my D300 has been collecting dust...

=Matt=

You hit it. It kills me . I have the same 51 points in the same place on my FX bodies as I have on my DX body. I constantly try to move my focus point outside of the available area on FX. That would be a HUGE upgrade if they spread those points all over the FX sensor.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    I had no idea that it was due to FF sensor....are you sure??? It is one aspect of the D700 that I am not so happy with. Oh and one more...it takes shots even without a CF card in it! Arggggh
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    wildviper wrote: »
    ... Oh and one more...it takes shots even without a CF card in it! Arggggh

Custom Settings f:f11, Choose "Release locked".

Page 329 of your User Manual, or here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D700_noprinten.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Yes that is a dangerous setting. Imagine doing a photoshoot with no card! Do what Ziggy said.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    wildviper wrote: »
    I had no idea that it was due to FF sensor....are you sure??? It is one aspect of the D700 that I am not so happy with. Oh and one more...it takes shots even without a CF card in it! Arggggh

Yup, that "dont' shoot without card" customization is one of the first things I program on EVERY camera I shoot with, Canon or Nikon...

And yes, there is a reason that FX cameras still have all the focus points clustered around the center of the viewfinder. If they could achieve accurate AF at the edges of the viewfinder, we'd have had that option long ago. The problem has to do with the angle that light hits the sensor and therefore the AF sensor too. That, and vignetting. The darker the corners, the worse the AF.

Nikon totally COULD put AF points all over an FX viewfinder, ...they just wouldn't be as accurate, for now. I hope however that they are frantically coming up with the next generation of autofocus system (like the V1 / J1 hybrid AF) that will defeat this problem...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum