Options

Sell 24-70L for primes?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited April 30, 2012 in Cameras
I'm a Dad with 7 and 10 year olds, and I do a little pro work on the side. A few portraits, some real estate, and some sports. Otherwise I am all about family photography. Current gear is in my sig.

Since getting the 35L almost a year ago, I've barely touched the 24-70. It seems so big and clunky now. It's fetching a good price on ebay probably because it's gone from B&H. I'm thinking of selling it and getting an 85/1.8 and pocketing the difference. Anyone done something similar? Got some 85/1.8 samples you can share?
Thanks.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 27, 2012
    The Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM is not that expensive. I suggest picking one up first to see how you like it. You can always sell the 24-70mmL pretty quickly if you decide you're not using it anymore.

I cannot see working without a standard zoom for what I do, but it's pretty different from what you describe for your photography.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    With the 70-200 II in the bag, the 85 might be slightly redundant for what you do; if you're going to swap out for a prime, what about "filling the gap" between 40-70 with the 50mm 1.4 prime (or the Sigmaluxe 50 1.4 if you prefer?)
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    I hear you Ziggy, I'm just not using it that much, but I also can't quite get my head around not having it.

Diva, with a 35 I don't feel a need for a 50. I feel like I can crop to get most of the way there if I need to. The 85 would technically be redundant with the 70-200, but the latter is such a beast and not at all discrete. The 85 would be more about handling and not putting people off so much.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Timeline-L.jpg
    85mm @ f/2

I have both the 85 1.8 and the 70-200 2.8 IS. The image quality is comparable at similar apertures. Main benefits to the 85mm:

-The wide aperture gives you a lot more blur. The picture above was taken looking downward at a small pond... this can be a lifesaver when you can't control the background.
    -SO MUCH LIGHTER. I've tried to keep up with my baby cousins with the 70-200 and it sucks.
    -Faster shutter speed. If the kids are jittery, an extra stop of speed can make a world of difference.
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I'm surprised that other members of the 135mm Mafia haven't chimed in yet. The 135mm f/2.0L on a full frame body is high on many people's lists. It's the reason why I tell crop-sensor owners to get the 85mm 1.8 for shooting pictures of people. The 135mm is also in the range of your big zoom, but like you say, far less obtrusive. IQ is top drawer. Used copies here go for just under $1,000.

The three major factors are: 135mm perspective just looks right, wide open f-stop controls the backgrounds and DOF, and image quality [sharpness & color] that delivers on the promises made by the focal length and aperture.

When taking pictures of people I personally shoot the 135mm unless short distance-to-subject forces me to the 24-70 f/2.8.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Yeah, 135L is another consideration. I'm just worried about having too big a gap from 35 to 135, and I wouldn't mind having cash left over after this transaction. Sorta feel like if I need to shoot at 135mm I'll just suck it up and mount the BWL. Did you switch from the 85 to the 135 on FF?
    -Jack

• Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    nak wrote: »
    I'm surprised that other members of the 135mm Mafia haven't chimed in yet.

:DLaughing.gif!

Before I picked up the 85 1.2 the 85 1.8 was always in my bag. It seems like I hesitated to use it, only because the 70-200 II was always available as well. But I think it offers a great value and outstanding image quality. The AF speed is way better than my 85 1.2, and if you're shooting at f/1.8-2.0 you'll see a nice bokeh improvement vs the 70-200. It's also tiny! Which I like...sort of.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Price, size, weight, and AF break the deal for the 85/1.2. :(
    -Jack

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I'm surprised that other members of the 135mm Mafia haven't chimed in yet.

Oh, I'll always pimp the 135L, but it didn't seem to be the "missing lens" for this particular scenario :D

If you want stealth and lightweight, then the 85 1.8 (or even 100 f2) are great choices. thumb.gif When I use the 85 I always like the results, but, it's not usually my first choice of lens even though it's really good. Not sure why, really. If I have enough space, I go for the 135. If I don't, I tend towards the 50mm or 24-70 (these on a crop, of course, so adjust accordingly). I will admit I love shooting ~70mm on a crop - if only the Sigma 50-150 hadn't been so elusive to find (I never did find one) I would have LOVED that lens, I'm sure!
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I figure the 85mm would be more versatile too, since it works for portraits but is also wide enough for a walk-around lens. I might have some trouble with a 135mm focal length (I haven't actually used the 135 f/2 myself tho)
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I have the 35 1.4 and 85 1.8 and it’s a winning combo. I also have the 135. But you can’t beat the 85 1.8 for the price and it focuses very quickly. It pops up refurbished on the Canon site for a good price every few days.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_282308_-1

6913117102_726c6f0119.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    That's an awesome shot. Although I have to say that with the subject far away like that, it kind of looks like a 35mm shot! But anyway, between your 35L, 85/1.8, and 135L, if you could only have 2 what would they be? Why?
    -Jack

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    I'm a Dad with 7 and 10 year olds, and I do a little pro work on the side. A few portraits, some real estate, and some sports. Otherwise I am all about family photography. Current gear is in my sig.

Since getting the 35L almost a year ago, I've barely touched the 24-70. It seems so big and clunky now. It's fetching a good price on ebay probably because it's gone from B&H. I'm thinking of selling it and getting an 85/1.8 and pocketing the difference. Anyone done something similar? Got some 85/1.8 samples you can share?
    Thanks.

you definitely have some overlap in focal lengths, if you almost never use the 24-70 it makes sense selling it and getting the 85 1.8
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Yeah, 135L is another consideration. I'm just worried about having too big a gap from 35 to 135, and I wouldn't mind having cash left over after this transaction. Sorta feel like if I need to shoot at 135mm I'll just suck it up and mount the BWL. Did you switch from the 85 to the 135 on FF?

That is a big gap. I use the 24-70 f/2.8L to cover shorter lengths. If 85mm on a full frame is your sweet spot for portraiture, by all means go with it. 135mm just happens to be mine.

I didn't switch from crop to full frame. When talking about what I shoot and why, most of the folks I talk to shoot crop sensor on a tighter budget. For them I recommend the 85mm f/1.8 because it gets them the same perspective, aperture, and fast focus that I'm getting for about a third the cost of the 135mm.

With your zooms, is focal length an accident of where you are standing? That is to say, when given the freedom, do you see the shot, tell yourself what focal length would give the best perspective and then move to frame it or do you zoom to frame and perspective is whatever that focal length yields?

The reason why I ask is that one of the points of shooting a prime lens is that you know and want a particular perspective. (The others typically being IQ and aperture.) So that "gap" in focal lengths doesn't matter if you don't want to shoot those lengths. All of us are trying to make sure that you get to the focal length that you will find most satisfying.

If you are already "framing with your feet" even when you have a zoom lens mounted, you're a prime candidate for prime lenses.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    I believe I am a prime guy at heart. I started with a Pentax K1000 and 3 primes (28, 50, 135), and somehow never wanted for more. Well, other than for sports-grade AF and to be able to shoot by candle light! That was a great trio of lenses, but I've decided I'm more of a 35mm guy than a 50mm guy, so now I have to figure out what to do with that. I'm thinking I should just buy the 85/1.8 and see how it goes. Sometimes I wish I could go back to just owning 3 primes, it made things much simpler. But I need the 17-40 for paying real estate jobs, and the 70-200 for sports. Also I shot a family portrait just yesterday and had to use the zoom in order to stay out of traffic.

Man what an expensive hobby.
    -Jack