Options

Applying for a job

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited April 30, 2012 in Sports
I've graduated Highschool last year, and ive spent this year upgrading my classes as i plan to go to university next year. I want to find a job with a photographer as a second shooter, or at a local, largish photo studio(they shoot school portraits, events, sports). My interests are in Sports, and Wedding photography.

Im looking for a full time summer job, and a part time job next year as i will be going to school.
Im in Canada so HS summer starts in june, and uni/college starts now(end of april) so i feel i might be a little late for applications for summer jobs, is it?

So at the moment I have all of my up to date, best pictures, maybe 30 Ish pictures, and several collages with those pictures.

My questions are:
1. do i have too many pictures?
2. Would they prefer to see the collages(They're in a 8x10, with 3-4 pic each page) or the individual pictures.
3. How should i print, and book them? Would an album with mostly 4x6's and some 5x7's be acceptable?
4. Do i Drop off my resume, and portfolio at the same time? Or do i bring my portfolio to an interview if they like my resume? What do your portfolio's look like?
5. Any tips for approaching a photo studio? I found a list of local photographers that don't have a location, i plan on sending them an email, with my portfolio on flicker. Is this a good idea?

Thanks A Ton =)
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    I really only feel that I could answer a couple of those questions...

1. More you can show, the better. But only stellar images. Don't show crap. Crap in = Crap Out! I would rather see someones book with 10 great images than sitting looking through something with 100 crappy ones.
    2. I'd stick with individual pictures. See #1. :)
    3. 4x6 and 5x7? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You can easily go to an art store and find an 8x10 or 11x14 portfolio. If you are going to give them 4x6 or 5x7 you might as well drop off an iPhone for them to look at your images.
    4. Can't answer that, never had to do it.
    5. Yes. Many photographers work out of their homes.. so get a good portfolio online and send them a link in an email...
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    I would recommend calling the editor of your local paper to see if he could you use your skills as a stringer. Follow-up your phone call with an email with a link to your website to your portfolio.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    another thought..
    Not a pro, but we had a recent SMUG here that featured an ad/PR art director and a corporate marketing/communications VP. The both echoed how important an on-line presence is. They will immediately click to your web site and if they aren't wowed in the first 5-10 pics they move on. If you have a Smugmug or other site get rid of your friends and family, or at least segregate to another folder. Create a very clear "Portfolio" folder and put it front and center, or even have it be the slide show that starts immediately when site opens. And as stated above, 10 great pics are much better than 20 or 100 that are ok with 10 good ones mixed in. (also, not sure I'd go with collages. Sometimes look like a HS art asignment rather than pro work) Need only your best. They also said that while they hire photogs with a certain look, they also like to see variety.

So that is the photography answer--and again I am not a pro so just my thoughts--but the other side is the meet and interview. I do have hiring experience here (and a son a year older than you) and will suggest--
    1. dress appropriately. Maybe not a suit, but no baggy low hanging jeans. Khakis and a nice shirt should be fine. People make first opinions, like it or not. If you are an edgy creative type looking for work at a fine art place that may be different, but your typical wedding/portrait pro wants someone presentable to be with him when clients are around.

2. Be mature and confident when you meet. Speak up, shake hands firmly. A 'sir' or 'ma'am' thrown in doesn't hurt. Again, the pro is thinking what will this guy present like when a client comes in or calls. They'll know your age so don't try to be someone you are not, but be a mature and personable version.

Good luck. Internships may be unpaid too so think about that possibility.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Ps
    Couple more thoughts....

Hang a flyer at local camera shop--"Intern looking for work"

Ask the guys at the desk, they are 'pre-screeners' for the pros. If they think you are worthy, they'll mention you to their customers

If you don't find something, spend all summer shooting. Build the portfolio, keep the skills sharp.

Photodad had great advice, but if they say no don't accept the answer. Show up at parades, or low priority news events where they may not send a photog. Then get the photos to them quickly to make the morning paper. They may or may not use it, but if the shots are good they may remember your name. Look at their website for submission requirements. If you get a cute kid at a parade you'll need name, age, where from, etc. and even write the caption when you submit. If the parents look at you funny tell them you "shoot for the local paper" and they'll get excited and usually give you the info happily.
  • Options
    hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thanks everyone, I narrowed down my 30 some pictures down to 11, and posted them on flickr. I will be printing them out either today or tomorrow in 8x10 sizeish (Keeping the aspect ratio's ive cropped them to).

Im going to call our newspaper this week, and post a flyer at our camera shop when i go to print my pictures so that i can get their opinions as well.

My portfolio is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79537743@N02/http://

I had some difficulty arranging the pictures in the order i wanted, and the pictures sizing isnt very impressive (Cheap looking).... maybe im getting smug mug soon...
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug