Canon 5DMkll

canon400dcanon400d Banned UserPosts: 2,826Banned Major grins
edited May 1, 2012 in Cameras
I have just purchased a new 5D Mark ll and would appreciate if someone can tell me what lenses from my list of lenses I should not use on the 5D ll. As I don't want to cause any damage to the camera or lenses.

Canon 7D and 40D 24-105 IS 17-55 2.8 IS 55-250 IS & 50-500mm Bigma Canon 70-200F4L, Canon 50mm 1.8 & 100mm L IS 2.8 & 10-22mm & MP-E 65.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,570Administrators moderator
    edited April 27, 2012
    the 10-22 is an EF-s lens, and won't fit full frame bodies.
    the 17-55 won't fit for the same reason.
    the 55-250 won't work.

    bottom line, if there are two dots on the side and back of the lens, one red and the other white, then those lenses are EF-s and will not fit full frame cameras like the 5D series.
    lenses with only one dot, red, are for full frame.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned User Posts: 2,826Banned Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    the 10-22 is an EF-s lens, and won't fit full frame bodies.
    the 17-55 won't fit for the same reason.
    the 55-250 won't work.

    bottom line, if there are two dots on the side and back of the lens, one red and the other white, then those lenses are EF-s and will not fit full frame cameras like the 5D series.
    lenses with only one dot, red, are for full frame.

    Thanks ever so much for that David.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Posts: 795Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    canon400d wrote: »
    I have just purchased a new 5D Mark ll and would appreciate if someone can tell me what lenses from my list of lenses I should not use on the 5D ll. As I don't want to cause any damage to the camera or lenses.

    Canon 7D and 40D 24-105 IS 17-55 2.8 IS 55-250 IS & 50-500mm Bigma Canon 70-200F4L, Canon 50mm 1.8 & 100mm L IS 2.8 & 10-22mm & MP-E 65.
    Cheers
    Bob

    yes, unfortunately the cheaper EF-S lens don't work on full frame bodies.
    The good news the 5D mkII is only now $1,500 with the CLP -
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned User Posts: 2,826Banned Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    yes, unfortunately the cheaper EF-S lens don't work on full frame bodies.
    The good news the 5D mkII is only now $1,500 with the CLP -

    Thanks for replying. I can still use the EF-S lenses on my 7D. The reason I bought the 5Dll was because the price of the 5Dlll was £1,000 more and I didn't think the difference warranted it. I have been contemplating upgrading to a 5Dll for a while now and thought that now was the right time to do it.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,570Administrators moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    Bob, that's a good move on your part. The IQ on the II is every bit as good as on the III, and it looks like you've already got lenses to fit it, which saves a lot of money when making the full frame commitment. The 10-22, especially (for the 7D), is pretty much an L-quality hunk of glass, so as long as you have a crop body, that lens is a great one to have in a kit.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by David_S85 viewpost.png
    the 10-22 is an EF-s lens, and won't fit full frame bodies.
    the 17-55 won't fit for the same reason.
    the 55-250 won't work.

    bottom line, if there are two dots on the side and back of the lens, one red and the other white, then those lenses are EF-s and will not fit full frame cameras like the 5D series.
    lenses with only one dot, red, are for full frame.

    Good Evening,
    If you know how to modify an ef-s lens, it will work on a full frame body, just not at the widest angle. I have been using my 10-22mm lens on my 5D for years, and just recently, on my 5D2. Yes there is some vignetting up to 15mm, but it does produce incredibly ultra wide angle shots.
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
    ...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,570Administrators moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    ^ interesting, but modifying lenses isn't for everyone.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Photo Nut Posts: 1,067Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    And it voids warranties
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    ^ interesting, but modifying lenses isn't for everyone.
    Good Morning,
    I agree it's not for everyone, but it's not that difficult if you read how to do it. Now if someone wants to convert a camera to infrared, then that's a different story, and requires disassembling the camera.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    And it voids warranties

    Good Morning,
    It can't void the warranty if it's out of date mwink.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



  • CrewdCrewd Ignorant Newb ;) Posts: 54Registered Users Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Any links available for modding efs lenses? I have some that I could put back into use if I could mod them...
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Crewd wrote: »
    Any links available for modding efs lenses? I have some that I could put back into use if I could mod them...
    Good Afternoon,
    Here is 1 link on modifying ef-s lenses: http://www.ehow.com/how_5961711_convert-lenses-canon-ef.html There are more on line, just do a search. Remember, if you use a modified lens on anything but a 10D or 20D, THE MIRROR WILL HIT THE BACK OF THE LENS on any other camera if you start at 10mm (presuming you will using the 10-22mm ef-s lens) There is some vignetting up to 14mm.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



  • CrewdCrewd Ignorant Newb ;) Posts: 54Registered Users Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Ah ok. The small frame camera limitation is an important distinction. thanks for pointing that out.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned User Posts: 2,826Banned Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Crewd wrote: »
    Ah ok. The small frame camera limitation is an important distinction. thanks for pointing that out.

    Thanks for the input. However, I won't be doing anything to my lenses with the little knowledge I have of them.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Canon 5DMkll
    Crewd wrote: »
    Ah ok. The small frame camera limitation is an important distinction. thanks for pointing that out.
    Good Evening Bob,
    You can use those lenses, once modified, on ff cameras, if you are careful not to start it off at the widest angle. 12mm is ok with the 10-22mm lens on my 5D and 5D2.
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



  • canon400dcanon400d Banned User Posts: 2,826Banned Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Evening Bob,
    You can use those lenses, once modified, on ff cameras, if you are careful not to start it off at the widest angle. 12mm is ok with the 10-22mm lens on my 5D and 5D2.
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
    Thanks for that Jim I appreciate your reply.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Major grins Posts: 1,257Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks for that Jim I appreciate your reply.
    Cheers
    Bob
    You're welcome.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    "I do not take pictures, I create them ..."


    www.cre8tive-exposure.webs.com



Sign In or Register to comment.