Interested in art? PJ

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited June 3, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Here is the building of a sculpture. I haven't touched clay in over 40 years. I was getting restless (yeah, yeah I know, it takes me a while :D). I have no ego for this stuff, I'm doing it for the money, maybe I can sell some of these.

This is how one guy builds a model to be cast in bronze

The piece is an iconic sculpture of ... you guess. Structurally its like sculpting an elephants head resting on his trunk; there are engineering issues. Anyway , no problems getting the model done in 17 days (with one molder's redo)

DSC0741-XL.jpg
DSC0761-XL.jpg
DSC0774-XL.jpg
DSC0778-XL.jpg
DSC0784-XL.jpg
6 I had to seal all porous material for the mold maker
DSC0787-XL.jpg

There was some additional finishing to the hair after this, but this is about how it went. These models are rarely pretty & it will be destroyed upon opening the mold.
Rags

Comments

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Fascinating. Please post the final product.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    This is the "wax". An intermediate step (giving the artist another opportunity to make adjustments).

This will be set in a refractory plaster; when cured will be heated to 2,000 degrees, turned upside down to allow wax to run out & then they pour molten bronze into the hot cast.

When cool the cast is broken, then you're left with a piece that is rotten ugly & needs work

i-4pdWWCV-XL.jpg
    Rags
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    VERY cool.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I love the inclusion of the Thomas The Train toys in the background. While "With A
    Child's Heart" was originally done by Stevie Wonder, Michael did a cover in 1973.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I love the inclusion of the Thomas The Train toys in the background. While "With A
    Child's Heart" was originally done by Stevie Wonder, Michael did a cover in 1973.

:D.... Sold my bikes, this is my ride... next a walker... :D
    Rags