Options

Lifespan of a d3s?

Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
edited April 29, 2012 in Cameras
I have the opportunity to buy a d3s locally for a decent price. It is complete with box, extra batter, etc. and is in great shape. The only problem is it has around 150k clicks.
What is the lifespan of a d3s sensor? And what would you pay for one with this many clicks? Thanks
graphic designer/photographer

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    The Nikon D3s is rated for 300,000 shutter actuations. Source:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d3s_d3x/en/reliability/

Typically, the shutter box and the mirror box assemblies are the components that receive the the greatest mechanical workout and they are the components most likely to fail. One a pro-grade body, like the D3s or D3x, replacing them is typically in the $450-$650 range. The camera's power supply as well as the processing circuit boards also get a workout, and temperature extremes as well as physical shock can affect the lifespan.

Even a brand new camera can fail, and some do, and other cameras merrily work well beyond the shutter rating, so it's always a bit of luck as to when any particular camera "will" fail.

Bottom line is that there is likely no warranty and you will be responsible for any repairs and their costs. A backup body is always a good idea for an important shoot.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Would $2,500 be a good price?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Unbrok3n wrote: »
    Would $2,500 be a good price?

Holy crap, if you don't buy it I will!!!

Okay seriously as Ziggy said, really those flagship DSLR's can live "forever" as long as you replace the shutter every 300,000 or 400,000 clicks. Depending on your workload, that may never happen more than once.

Honestly a 150K click D3s for $2500 is a great price. Just have it checked out thoroughly by someone who knows how to test a camera's metering / autofocus etc. and you should be good to go.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I too would jump on that, even if in another 150k clicks i have the shutter replaced it would be worth it.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Heck I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love mine and would love a 3rd to have a backup in case I had to send one off.