Options

Error 99/Error1

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited April 28, 2012 in Cameras
Hello...

I use an EFS 17-55 on my 20D. A few days ago, I was getting ready to do a shoot, and after a test shot, I got the dreaded "Error 99" message. I removed and replaced the battery, the CF card, and took off and replaced the lens... still got the message. So I took off the lens and moved it to my 40D... and the 40D gave me an "Error 1" message. I put my 70-200 lens on the 20D to test it, and it worked fine.

When I got home, I looked up the "Error 1" message, and was told to clean the contacts of both the lens and the camera. I did that, and it worked for a few shots, then it failed again, and now no matter what I do I still get the message when using the 17-55 on either camera.

Is there a fix for the 17-55, or am I in serious trouble?

:help

Thanks.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    What is your method for cleaning the contacts?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    I tried the pencil eraser VERY carefully, and soft lint-free cloth. I'm now considering steel wool and sandpaper.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    For me, error 99 was a low battery. The battery wasn't making very good contact with the camera either (it wasn't pushed in all the way). Try charging your battery fully and making sure it's fully pressed into the camera.

Edit: this was on a 1D2, FWIW.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    I tried the pencil eraser VERY carefully, and soft lint-free cloth. I'm now considering steel wool and sandpaper.

Under "no" circumstances is steel wool and sandpaper ever allowed near the back of a lens or near an open camera body.

It does sound like there may still be something on the contacts, so I recommend an additional pass with a "clean" pink pencil eraser. (You can rub the eraser against some paper first to gain a clean eraser surface, but don't let any eraser particles near the lens or camera body.)

If you have any doubts about the procedure, take or send the lens to a capable camera shop.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks, guys.

And I was kidding about the steel wool and sandpaper. But the acid seemed to work!
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks, guys.

And I was kidding about the steel wool and sandpaper. But the acid seemed to work!

Oh, the agony ... rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53