Options

Canon 5d Mark II Software update.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited April 28, 2012 in Cameras
Hi
I dont know if this is on the right area of thie forum but i have a quiestion that might have been asked here before. If i want to update my DPP software to get the best out of my Canon 24-70 F2.8 Lens, where can i obtain it from. After all the talk here on the forum about the changes in file sizes from using this new software that came out with the Canon 5D MK III i still am interested. Can anuone here help me please.
Kind regards
Patrick.:D

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Canon has updates for DPP and it's other software on it's site. This is where there are on the US site

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

This is the corresponding page (I think) on the European site

http://www.canon.ie/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_II.aspx?type=download&page=1

Hi
    I dont know if this is on the right area of thie forum but i have a quiestion that might have been asked here before. If i want to update my DPP software to get the best out of my Canon 24-70 F2.8 Lens, where can i obtain it from. After all the talk here on the forum about the changes in file sizes from using this new software that came out with the Canon 5D MK III i still am interested. Can anuone here help me please.
    Kind regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Canon has updates for DPP and it's other software on it's site. This is where there are on the US site

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

http://www.canon.ie/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_II.aspx?type=download&page=1

Thankyou Dan.
    On the european update site canon refers to this as Digital Photo Professional 3.11.26 Updater for Windows
    I hope this is the newest update that you all were talking about. I will give it a try.
    Thanks again.:D
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »

WOW. There is a result. I turned my sharpness all the way down to nothing in raw and turned up my sharpness all the way to 100% in Lens correction under the new settings. Mabey its my laptop but i really dont see a change in my preview pane until i return to my raw file and start sliding the sharpen slider. RESULT.
    Thanks.wings.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    WOW. There is a result. I turned my sharpness all the way down to nothing in raw and turned up my sharpness all the way to 100% in Lens correction under the new settings. Mabey its my laptop but i really dont see a change in my preview pane until i return to my raw file and start sliding the sharpen slider. RESULT.
    Thanks.wings.gif

Did you download your lens profile and run DLO before returning to Lens Corrections and then sharpening?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Did you download your lens profile and run DLO before returning to Lens Corrections and then sharpening?

I downloaded an upgrade for my dpp and then i started my dpp, then i downloaded the lens profile. Is there a difference? Would this explain why i dont get a preview of the level of sharpness in DLO?
    Patrick.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited April 28, 2012
    I downloaded an upgrade for my dpp and then i started my dpp, then i downloaded the lens profile. Is there a difference? Would this explain why i dont get a preview of the level of sharpness in DLO?
    Patrick.

From what I am reading, the workflow has changed in DPP now, if you are going to include DLO as part of an edit. It used to be that you could do anything in DPP, in any order, since the pic had not yet been saved. Not so with the update.

If you have the camera set to do sharpening, you can still keep that, for the sake of quick and dirty JPEG's later on (without DLO'ing). But, if you have a real nice keeper image that you'll display and/or print, it is best to first move the sharpening slider in DPP to zero, then do the DLO thing (at whatever setting you wish - 50 is default), and only then fiddle with the older lens aberrations such as light fall off, etc. At that point, do anything else in DPP that you have always done, in any order, including sharpening) and you're good to "save as" whatever.

The difference seems to be that DLO is a grand step in crunching through the image data (which is why the CR2 doubles in size), and while beneficial in nature, any other lens aberration corrections could foul up the DLO corrections (thus a destructive edit rather than beneficial). Sharpening beforehand might also be a bad idea (it is early on in most of our learning curves ne_nau.gif )

You'll notice that after running DLO, one of the four options is missing in the Lens Aberrations tab. DLO has taken care of chromatic aberrations; but all other aberration options are up to you to correct, including the very important light fall off. While magic, DLO doesn't do everything for you.

Caveats:
    1. Some cameras carry the lens aberrations corrections data over to DPP with the RAW (if you have the cam set up that way), so back that out first in DPP before the DLO step, temporarily.

2. DLO'ing is reversible. Once you've saved your image as a JPEG or a TIFF, to save file space, you can go back to the DLO part, uncheck the box and re-save on that tab and the RAW file size shrinks back to what it was before.

3. DLO only works on full size RAWs. So no JPEG's or sRAW or mRAW.

4. The list of DLO workable lenses will no doubt grow, so keep an eye out for future upgrades to DPP.

5. Want a high quality DPP'd HDR? Do the DLO'ing on the images you want to bring in first.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky