Options

smugmug and search results = sales

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
thank you chris, and don, and everyone at smugmug, for doing the "google dance" so well. i'm getting a lot of folks coming into my site by googling for specific stuff, and they're finding it at my smugmug site!

for those of you who are interested in selling your work... i just wanted to take a moment guys, to stress the importance of good captioning of your online images - that is, if you intend to sell them.

i have seen a very substantial increase in sales volume lately, due to the fact that folks are finding individual images via google search. this one just got picked up by a website designer, for a client that they are working with in the financial space:

(sony f828 image)
http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/3845284-S.jpg

she found it by googling "tappan zee bridge" for images

so, my advice: caption everything, with an eye towards potential searches :D

enjoy (getting paid for your) photography,

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    Captions = sales
    andy wrote:
    thank you chris, and don, and everyone at smugmug, for doing the "google dance" so well. ...
    so, my advice: caption everything, with an eye towards potential searches

This is not the same as the "keywords" line in the "customize gallery" window, correct? Are those keywords only for internal smugmug searches and not for google?

I'm gonna have to caption a lot of photos. :-O
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 11, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    This is not the same as the "keywords" line in the "customize gallery" window, correct? Are those keywords only for internal smugmug searches and not for google?

I'm gonna have to caption a lot of photos. :-O
    That's correct. Keywords in customize gallery help our search engine find your albums but don't help Google.

What you place in your cobranding section for page title is critically important. It's what appears on your title bar in your browser and Google assumes those words are critically important to you (it's also the default name for bookmarks).

If you do as Andy did and place Moon River Photography -- Andy Williams there, it will appear that way on every page. So Andy is not the only Andy Williams on the net, nor the only one associated with Moon River (http://www.andywilliams.com), because Andy Williams the singer and his Moon River theater are very popular. And yet when you search for Andy Williams photography, the best man wins. :D

(Because he has the word photography in his title.)

If you don't specify a page title, we make the name of your gallery the title. So my gallery of Concours d'Elegance Award Winners,

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/18762

comes up #1 in Google when you search for those words, beating the official site, the big automotive mags that cover it, etc.

Also, links to your site are hugely important.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Sales...
    Baldy wrote:
    What you place in your cobranding section for page title is critically important. It's what appears on your title bar in your browser and Google assumes those words are critically important to you (it's also the default name for bookmarks).

Gotcha. I'm still trying to learn what I need to do to replace the header, for example. I think I have some local help on that.

Sounds like networking (the old fashioned kind :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Very Cool
    I just googled one of my picture captions and it showed up at the top of the list. Very cool. I better get busy captioning.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    That's correct. Keywords in customize gallery help our search engine find your albums but don't help Google.

Respectfully, the number one feature I need on Smugmug (besides upgraded aspect ratio discovery/offering for print) is a way to bulk caption (and here's the change) with the FILENAME already in the caption block. So I can title by image number then description. Example: 27275-No Hands Bridge.

It's way too much work for me otherwise to caption, with the number of images I post, especially for event shoots like the recent Tevis event where I posted 618 images (out of 1200 shot).

TIA,
    Lynne
  • Options
    timsimstimsims Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2004
    I'm not seeing this work for me. I've had photos up from my Eleuthera vacation for around six weeks. I hadn't captioned them all until today but I did a Google Image search for "Tippy's" which is a unique term that has been in the caption of several of my photos for the entire six weeks and it didn't come up with any of my "Tippy's" photos. I have captioned many others today with keywords that folks might search for images of (specifically Eleuthera), but is there anything else that I need to do?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    Search results
    timsims wrote:
    I'm not seeing this work for me. I've had photos up from my Eleuthera vacation for around six weeks. I hadn't captioned them all until today but I did a Google Image search for "Tippy's" which is a unique term that has been in the caption of several of my photos for the entire six weeks and it didn't come up with any of my "Tippy's" photos. I have captioned many others today with keywords that folks might search for images of (specifically Eleuthera), but is there anything else that I need to do?

I can do a google search on "Mercury Photography Texas", which is my title page, and its the number one hit. But if I do a search on "skusa austin grand prix", which is the caption for about 70 photos, I get no hits at all.

I have noticed that featured galleries get much more hits than normal galleries, though. Nice feature. :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    gfiebichgfiebich Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2004
    In my testing, I haven't gotten the smugmug search tool to return results from keywords that appear in my gallery's comments. Keywords placed in photo captions do appear in the search results, but there seems to be a delay of about 2-5 minutes before the captions are indexed by the smugmug database. Am I just being impatient with the comments indexing, or does the search tool ignore comments?

This is important to me because I would like to invite my race participants to self-identify their photos by placing their bib numbers in the comments field. Our event results system links each person's finish time directly to the smugmug search tool with their bib number in the URL string. If you're not following me, go here and click on the little camera icon next to the first result.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    gfiebich wrote:
    In my testing, I haven't gotten the smugmug search tool to return results from keywords that appear in my gallery's comments.
    It's true, we don't search words in comments currently. We'll have to talk about this and see if we can do something.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2004
    Searching and Captions
    mercphoto wrote:
    I can do a google search on "Mercury Photography Texas", which is my title page, and its the number one hit. But if I do a search on "skusa austin grand prix", which is the caption for about 70 photos, I get no hits at all.

Still no hits today. Strangely, this forum thread does hit. :) But my galleries don't. :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    arthousephotographyarthousephotography Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    not getting any response in google
    mercphoto wrote:
    Still no hits today. Strangely, this forum thread does hit. :) But my galleries don't. :(
    Have tried various searches in google, title, captions etc and nowt. Not sure what I am doing wrong....
    www.arthousephotography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    Just a little info for everyone.... it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for your content to be indexed by Google, and then even more time for it to show up in search results. It really pays to be patient.

Also, if it makes you feel better you can go to Google and submit your URL. But that doesn't guarantee that your pages will be indexed any sooner.
  • Options
    arthousephotographyarthousephotography Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    thanks
    Just a little info for everyone.... it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for your content to be indexed by Google, and then even more time for it to show up in search results. It really pays to be patient.

Also, if it makes you feel better you can go to Google and submit your URL. But that doesn't guarantee that your pages will be indexed any sooner.
    Will just have to be patient....thanks for your advice.1drink.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    Will just have to be patient....thanks for your advice.1drink.gif

The "Google Dance" usually takes a minimum of 30 days for content to show up. But content can only show up if it can easily be found somehow.

So the trick is to get some links somewhere else that point to your galleries. Then Google will both find them more easily and rank them more highly.

Easiest way is to add a link to your sig in any forums (like this one) on which you post. If you have another website, or blog, or anything like that, adding a link is a big help too.

Otherwise, you're stuck hoping Google manages to find you this month among smugmug's thousands of customers. Google's good, but not perfect. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    Another consideration is how common are the words you use. Art. House. Photography. They're all very common so they get lost in a sea of contenders.

It's nice when your words are more like Andy Williams photography.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    Just in case you don't know: When you type your website in google in the following way, google will show you all entries, which it collected from there and you can even search for specific keywords on your page:

site:rainforest1155.smugmug.com

This gives you the possibility to see what is already searchable in google.
    More advanced search features are described here: http://www.google.com/features.html

Have a nice day,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    re
    So, how does this work? I caption ALL my Images and google will find them? I have read and reread this thread and i cant figure it out.. (i am a tad slow) Do i cap. all my images with key words? or do i somehow do something with my domain name? Remember, I know NOTHING about this stuff.
    Thanks for all the help.. Please clear this up for me if you can,
    -zacker-
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    So, how does this work? I caption ALL my Images and google will find them? I have read and reread this thread and i cant figure it out.. (i am a tad slow) Do i cap. all my images with key words? or do i somehow do something with my domain name? Remember, I know NOTHING about this stuff.
    Thanks for all the help.. Please clear this up for me if you can,
    -zacker-
    Hi zacker,

Caption them. Put in good words in the gallery descriptions. Use gallery keywords (in customize gallery). And most important, use photo keywords!

Try googling for

westchester senior portrait

and see what comes up :)

wave.gif holler if we can help more!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    You just write captions for your images and add relevant keywords to the pictures. The search engines will come by and pick them up. Also you can some summarising keywords to the gallery itself in the gallery customizations.

While captions generally contain sentences to be read by your visitors, search engines also use them for indexing your site in addition to the keywords you assign to images.
    I try to keep the image keywords on a level on what's visible in the picture and where it is taken or to group a certain set of images together consciously. I don't add my name to every image or whatever to every picture, but there are probably people doing this and having success with it.

I hope this helps a bit,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    love this stuff
    Just in case you don't know: When you type your website in google in the following way, google will show you all entries, which it collected from there and you can even search for specific keywords on your page:

site:rainforest1155.smugmug.com

This gives you the possibility to see what is already searchable in google.
    More advanced search features are described here: http://www.google.com/features.html

Have a nice day,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian and Andy:

Great stuff. This kind of info is very useful -- I'd love to see more tips and info like this as it applies to smugmug sites. I actually had no idea captioning photos was this important.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    yippee
    I just sold a photo for the cover of a book!!! I asked the art director and she advised me they found the photo by doing a google search of Biograph Theater photos. So yes caption and keywords do work. My photo comes up 4 in the search on google. That was the easiest money I have ever made Wink2.gif

Thanks Smugmug
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    thank you chris, and don, and everyone at smugmug, for doing the "google dance" so well. i'm getting a lot of folks coming into my site by googling for specific stuff, and they're finding it at my smugmug site!

for those of you who are interested in selling your work... i just wanted to take a moment guys, to stress the importance of good captioning of your online images - that is, if you intend to sell them.

i have seen a very substantial increase in sales volume lately, due to the fact that folks are finding individual images via google search. this one just got picked up by a website designer, for a client that they are working with in the financial space:

(sony f828 image)
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/3845284-S.jpg

she found it by googling "tappan zee bridge" for images

so, my advice: caption everything, with an eye towards potential searches :D

enjoy (getting paid for your) photography,

If you do a google 'image' search for either your 'tappan zee bridge' or my 'johnathan thurston' no smugmug images are returned.

Why wouldn't google image search index these?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Sebastian and Andy:

Great stuff. This kind of info is very useful -- I'd love to see more tips and info like this as it applies to smugmug sites. I actually had no idea captioning photos was this important.
    Google seems to really dig captions. I see a lot people coming from google searching for word I would never have thought of me having a good ranking for in google, because they're so common. As I try to caption my pictures now in three languages chances are even higher of getting yet another hit.
    But don't overestimate the importance search engine hits! Most of the time they just view the one picture that brought them to my site and then leave, but there are also times when a visitor really sucks in everything you throw at him. mwink.gif

If you're interested in what kind of searches bring people to your site be sure to install statcounter or a similar tool. That way you see where your traffic comes from and also for what people searched. You can then simply click on the search and look at what rank you got in the results page.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    re
    Thanks Sebastian.... So I need to clcik "add caption" on each pic and add a caption like "Passion Flower, Canon Powershot pro1" and then google will find Passion Flower, or Canon, or Powershot Pro1 ??? that is cool.. so heres another one for you guys. how do I make it so i can type "broken fence photography" into a search engin and have it find my site? or just "
    broken fence"?

Is this possible with a smugmug site?
    -zacker-

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    Thanks Sebastian.... So I need to clcik "add caption" on each pic and add a caption like "Passion Flower, Canon Powershot pro1" and then google will find Passion Flower, or Canon, or Powershot Pro1 ??? that is cool.. so heres another one for you guys. how do I make it so i can type "broken fence photography" into a search engin and have it find my site? or just "
    broken fence"?

Is this possible with a smugmug site?
    -zacker-

Have your business name as your footer, that helps, too.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2006
    re
    Andy wrote:
    Have your business name as your footer, that helps, too.

yeah, i was looking today and couldnt find how to get into my headr and edit that.. and the footer? How do i access the page I had when i signed up.. the one where i edited my header..i was looking at the control panel but cant remember how i did it.
    -zacker-

• Options
    edited June 22, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    yeah, i was looking today and couldnt find how to get into my headr and edit that.. and the footer? How do i access the page I had when i signed up.. the one where i edited my header..i was looking at the control panel but cant remember how i did it.
    -zacker-
    It's the following link:
    Customize: everything from changing colors to completely replacing smugmugs look & feel! | Help

in the organize & customize section

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2006
    It's the following link:
    Customize: everything from changing colors to completely replacing smugmugs look & feel! | Help

in the organize & customize section

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Thanks again Sebastian!
    -zacker-

• Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    If you do a google 'image' search for either your 'tappan zee bridge' or my 'johnathan thurston' no smugmug images are returned.

bump..
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Cammo wrote:

I can't speak for image search but do a google on Tappan Zee Bridge and I'm on page one :D