DSS #101 - Same Texture...New Subject - C&C welcome

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited April 29, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
My earlier post...

Texture-S.jpg

... used a PS layer of some peeling paint on a horse fence. Somehow, I couldn't seem to make
the subject and the texture blend well and even if I had, they didn't really work contextually. So I used the same background with another shot from the same day and came up with the two below. Better? What about color vs. B&W? Always learning, here. All comments/suggestions appreciated... including ideas for title...

So here's the next attempt.

20120422SF-Menlo-Park-Road-L.jpg

Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Really sweet! I like the color better than B&W.
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Like your new attempt - especially the colour picture - really get the impression of the eagle against clouds. Love the texture.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    The color version with the eagle is great! It really pops out nicely from the background. Can you try playing with that shot to deepen the shadows just a little bit and see if that brings out the texture in the rocks even more?
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    The color version with the eagle is great! It really pops out nicely from the background. Can you try playing with that shot to deepen the shadows just a little bit and see if that brings out the texture in the rocks even more?

Here's an attempt to improve the shadows and one to add a gradient (implying sunset?)....

Bill Banning

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Make the shadows darker (not lighter), but keep the lighter areas "as is". That contrast might bring the shadows out more. If the blue color looks a little too intense as a result, try adding a hue/saturation layer and then desaturate the blue a tad.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    Make the shadows darker (not lighter), but keep the lighter areas "as is". That contrast might bring the shadows out more. If the blue color looks a little too intense as a result, try adding a hue/saturation layer and then desaturate the blue a tad.

I refreshed the image above with a bit more black, contrast and a slight reduction in the exposure value, then desaturated the blues a bit. Since I'm posting from a link to my gallery, the update replaced the previous lighter version, so it's no longer in the previous post in the lighter format. Is this getting closer to what you're suggesting? FWIW, I'm pretty happy with this version.

Bill Banning

• PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Love your latest version... also really like #4 with the graduated colors. Really neat!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I am still drawn to number 2 , the bird seems to get lost in the other versions but then again I am always drawn to the avian angle. I do like the sunset implication but if you could take the selection brush and remove it from the bird outline
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I really like #2 with the colors, but it's too bright - try playing with the levels/curves and also with color saturation or selective colors (as per Linda's advice)

Very nice idea!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Love how this is coming along. Like the latest version - the suggestions were spot on!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Wow Bill - I just checked the gallery and was really drawn to your image. Love seeing all the versions too. I like your latest and the graduated color one as well. Great idea for the challenge. GP
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    #2 (your current entry) looks very nice, but I would lighten a little bit the black zones on the wings.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com