Options

K-9's and their friends

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited May 1, 2012 in People
Attended a neat police dog competition in Scottsdale a couple weekends ago. Held in one of our Cactus League ballparks so every seat was good and you could really see the dogs and handlers/officers. Most of the Police departments in AZ were there including some from NM and even Mexico. Also Border Patrol, Corrections and Military teams. Very cool to watch the dog trot along going for a walk, and in an instant the guy in the padded suit jumps out and the dog goes into duty mode. The "bad guy" played it up great yelling at the officer, then crying like a baby and putting his hands up. Good reason he was in the first base station closest to crowd.

On patrol.
Police-Dogs-0412005-L.jpg

And the attack....
Police-Dogs-0412011-L.jpg

Over the car hood....
Police-Dogs-0412039-L.jpg

Heard him comment after this one that he forgot to wear his cup. Thankfully the dog got the tail on jacket and nothing more 'dear'.
Police-Dogs-0412037-L.jpg

Multiple tours in Afghanistan and a Bronze Medal for bravery in action for both the Sargent and the dog! Rin Tin Tin of a new generation. Brought the crowd to its feet and a lump to the throat. :thumb

Police-Dogs-0412019-L.jpg

Nice day in the AZ springtime. Thanks for looking,

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Serious. Awesome. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thank God we have folks who want to do this. Thanks.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thanks for sharing, I was unaware of this event, it sounded like an outstanding demonstration. I wish I could have been there. Thanks for the next best thing.. your images and descriptions!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Fun day
    Thanks all for the comments.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    If anybody has a chance to see it, there was a British program made called "The Bloodhound and the Beardie". It traces the stories of two dogs (one in the US and one in the UK) who were dumped at shelters as "untrainable", and how their new handlers worked with them, and the problems they faced.

The reason I mention it here was the AMAZING relationship built up between the bloodhound (this is the American dog) and the scent trainer preparing her for possibly joining a police force. I defy anybody to watch it without a lump in their throat at the end ... Wonderful story.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Gotta love youtube: here's the program
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    The last photo really touched me.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    RolfRolf Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thank you for these. As has been said, the last one.... yes!
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    I agree with everyone on the last photo, as it is awesome! It brings back memories from 1975 when I was in Basic Training, and met one of the MP's with a drug sniffing K9. He explained most of what is involved in training a dog to sniff out what ever they are trained to sniff out. My hat goes off to all K9 trainers/handlers!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Jeff MaddenJeff Madden Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2012
    Great series. Really like the last shot a lot.

It's interesting to see that most departments have transitioned over the the Belgian Malinios from the German Shepherd
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thanks everyone, last shot and announcer describing their tours and Bronze medal brought a lump to all throats present. Yes, the Malinois ruled the day. Don't think there was a Shepherd in the house. Maybe one of the search and rescue dogs in attendance but not competing.