Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I'm surprised no one has commented on these. Perhaps it is just the wrong audience. I'm probably in the minority then, but I quite enjoy these. I'm fascinated by our fascination with language, obscenity, social norms, etc. I've lived and worked in places where "rude" language and gestures were anything but rude. They were used to welcome friends and co-workers. It was about being "tough," and the tougher you were the more respect you got. The same behavior at my current employer would result in an HR interview, and potentially being fired. It is through those filters that I see these images.

Incidentally, my wife enjoyed these images as well. She's a great "check" for me. If she likes it, that is usually a sign there is something good going on.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has commented on these. Perhaps it is just the wrong audience. I'm probably in the minority then, but I quite enjoy these. I'm fascinated by our fascination with language, obscenity, social norms, etc. I've lived and worked in places where "rude" language and gestures were anything but rude. They were used to welcome friends and co-workers. It was about being "tough," and the tougher you were the more respect you got. The same behavior at my current employer would result in an HR interview, and potentially being fired. It is through those filters that I see these images.

Incidentally, my wife enjoyed these images as well. She's a great "check" for me. If she likes it, that is usually a sign there is something good going on.

Thanks Ryan,
    I am not surprised that no one has commented and I also do not expect it here at DG as I feel I have worn out my welcome. I am glad you can see through the images and enjoy them for what they truly are.
    If you want to see a very enjoyable street photography thread that I started in 12 12 08 and has 6,684 posts with 333,550 views, take a look here....
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981-capture-stranger-street-style.html

In this thread it is more about simply enjoying each others work from all different levels of experience. No bashing or putting anyone down. Any thing goes so long as there is a stranger in the picture. I have a few other such threads in other forums and never have I seen madness like here. headscratch.gif
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Good stuff....
    I enjoyed it and think you did a great job. Even though you asked them to pose, they gave you a very honest impression of who they are and how they felt. The others also, talk about "keeping it real".

And as far as "wearing out your welcome", not even close. Your recent posts have been some of the best on this forum. The technical skill is excellent, as well as the eye for composition and juxtaposition. I love the way you catch the guy in the background checking out the women that are the main subject. Their expressions are great. For what its worth I think most stand on their own without a title, but discussions about those kinds of things is what makes this forum interesting. Your photo, your call.

Keep shooting and posting, inspirational stuff. thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    these are fun! nice grabs
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I see from the last one that the horse you rode in on is #1 as well.rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Javier wrote: »
    Thanks Ryan,
    I am not surprised that no one has commented and I also do not expect it here at DG as I feel I have worn out my welcome. I am glad you can see through the images and enjoy them for what they truly are.
    If you want to see a very enjoyable street photography thread that I started in 12 12 08 and has 6,684 posts with 333,550 views, take a look here....
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981-capture-stranger-street-style.html

In this thread it is more about simply enjoying each others work from all different levels of experience. No bashing or putting anyone down. Any thing goes so long as there is a stranger in the picture. I have a few other such threads in other forums and never have I seen madness like here. headscratch.gif

I'll say it--I think you are being touchy.
    You have not worn out your welcome--matter of fact I'm glad you are posting and I like seeing your contributions.
    I would think living in L.A. you would be more thick skinned. So lighten up and keep posting without the victim attitude ie. "I hope these don't offend". Who cares if they offend?

As for these. I enjoyed the reactions. Though some don't look angry but rather playful almost as though you asked them to flip you off and they are getting a kick out of it, the guitarist for example. #1 is my favorite--she must be a New Yorker.

And for what it's worth, I wanted to comment on these before and got sidetracked. It happens.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thanks Ryan,

thanks for the above link.
    I'm having a great old time looking through these. Such a varied street set. It's worth a few looks.

EDIT--holy cow! the skateboard brawl sequence is brutal! Can't take my eyes away from each shot, but the color one--yikes!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thanks Ryan,
    I have a few other such threads in other forums and never have I seen madness like here. headscratch.gif

btw dgrin is the only street forum I'm on. It's the only madness I know.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I really enjoy the eagle has landed, Javier. Had I not been browsing through images of folks giving the middle finger, I think I would've found those incredibly intense eyes of his first, and for me, those eyes and the interesting frame his hands have made around his facial area really make the image for me. The middle finger simply explains why his eyes appear this way (maybe) and completes a good street photograph, in my opinion.

As for wearing out you welcome, I hardly know you, but I like your images, so don't leave for my sake if it please you.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    yo..you have good stuff. keep posting here..ignore the flames..they are rare
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    "Ignore the flames."

~Qarik

good advice
  • Un latino urbanoUn latino urbano Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2012