Options

Concert Shots (14 images)

jkisserjkisser Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 1, 2012 in People
I had the opportunity to shoot a concert earlier this month. 4 Bands, The Skypilot, Seventh Time Down, Ashes Remain, and FireFlight. The lighting was great as far as concert lighting goes.

I'd love to know what you guys think of what I got. The whole set (110 images :oogle) can be found here.

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks so much for posting these. I hope to get a couple concerts later this year myself (if a few connections come through). It looks like a lot of fun, as well as quite the challenge. I'll give you my first impressions, take them as you wish.

1. A little too distracting for me. The guy on the left and especially the microphone going across the image.

2. Looks a a fantastic moment, but maybe it could have been a little better portrait? The cut off fingers/bass at the bottom doesn't help.

3. Nice.

4. Great moment again. Your timing is spot on. The crop is just a little off for me. The missing elbow and the top of the stick.

5. Cool lights.

6. Solid. I wonder what this would look like cropped a bit tighter?

7. I like it.

8. Very cool. One of my favorites in this set. That drummer is awesome looking!

9. I love t back lighting/lens flare. But I think the composition is just slightly off. Again the feet are cropped off, and the water bottle and clutter on the left is stracting.

10. Hmm. I like it, but feels like a bit of empty space on the top.

11. Very cool. Love the light effect. I'd probably just crop this above the knees for more of the 3/4 length look.

12. Great capture, but feels like you needed to go in a bit tighter. That big blurry head on the bottom left is big...and well blurry.

13. Cool perspective.

14. Doesn't do much for me. Took me a minute to realize the drummer was even there. Almost looked like an equipment shot.

Well, there you have it. I still think they are fantastic, and I'd be thrilled if I came out of a concert with shots like those. However, I'd rather people pick out little issues with my images then tell me everything is fantastic. So I'll give it to you straight.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks!

Some of the crops bothered me as well, but unfortunately I managed to capture them that way. :nah

I need to remember to leave myself a little more space to crop in post. Sometimes it's tough though when things are moving fast. I was trying to change focus points quickly so I could frame the shots better and not have to recompose too drastically. Sometimes it worked and sometimes... not so much.

Thanks again! thumb.gif

Helvegr wrote: »
    Thanks so much for posting these. I hope to get a couple concerts later this year myself (if a few connections come through). It looks like a lot of fun, as well as quite the challenge. I'll give you my first impressions, take them as you wish.

1. A little too distracting for me. The guy on the left and especially the microphone going across the image.

2. Looks a a fantastic moment, but maybe it could have been a little better portrait? The cut off fingers/bass at the bottom doesn't help.

3. Nice.

4. Great moment again. Your timing is spot on. The crop is just a little off for me. The missing elbow and the top of the stick.

5. Cool lights.

6. Solid. I wonder what this would look like cropped a bit tighter?

7. I like it.

8. Very cool. One of my favorites in this set. That drummer is awesome looking!

9. I love t back lighting/lens flare. But I think the composition is just slightly off. Again the feet are cropped off, and the water bottle and clutter on the left is stracting.

10. Hmm. I like it, but feels like a bit of empty space on the top.

11. Very cool. Love the light effect. I'd probably just crop this above the knees for more of the 3/4 length look.

12. Great capture, but feels like you needed to go in a bit tighter. That big blurry head on the bottom left is big...and well blurry.

13. Cool perspective.

14. Doesn't do much for me. Took me a minute to realize the drummer was even there. Almost looked like an equipment shot.

Well, there you have it. I still think they are fantastic, and I'd be thrilled if I came out of a concert with shots like those. However, I'd rather people pick out little issues with my images then tell me everything is fantastic. So I'll give it to you straight.
  • Options
    dharmaboydharmaboy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2012
    Great shots! Love the lighting! What kind of gear were you using?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thanks!

Canon 7D with either 24-70 f/2.8L or 70-200 f/2.8L IS

dharmaboy wrote: »
    Great shots! Love the lighting! What kind of gear were you using?
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Awesome shots... Can you give approximations as to the iso and shutter speeds you were using?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thanks. All of them were ISO1600 at f/2.8. Shutter speeds varied from 1/100th - 1/400th or so. If memory serves the majority were 1/160th - 1/200th. thumb.gif
    Crewd wrote: »
    Awesome shots... Can you give approximations as to the iso and shutter speeds you were using?
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Just beautiful sir. Well done. All natural light or was some of that speedlight?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    All available light. I had a couple flashes with me, but never took them out of the bag.
    Crewd wrote: »
    Just beautiful sir. Well done. All natural light or was some of that speedlight?
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    jkisser,

I'd take 6, 9, and 10 out of this group, look up some concert processing techniques (nothing drastic, but a touch up is beneficial with rock-stuff anyway) or invent your own, and repost those. In my opinion, those are the only real standouts.

For 9 and 10, I think you may need to crop a bit, and make a stronger image that doesn't look like you had incorrect framing.

Good job, though. Hope the music was tolerable :).
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    As concert shots go I think you got some fabulous shots here that the band members will be very happy to have.
    Having been on both sides of the stage I can appreciate the work that goes into photographing concert performances.
    Action shots are great overall as are some of the unusual crops. (you'll find that just about anything goes with concert photography, just look at past and current publications)
    My only nit would be on the few where faces where blown out but that's always the challenge balancing the ratio between the stage lighting and the light that falls on their faces.
    Well done!
    Yo soy Reynaldo