Options

Christine

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited April 30, 2012 in People
Another day, another cute girl. :D Comments and critiques are most welcome!!

IMG9881-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9885-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9891-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9909-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9928-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG9993-XL.jpg

IMG0041-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG0122-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG0056-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Just in case nine wasn't enough, there's more here. :wink http://www.desertilluminations.com/People/Christine/22566758_cPM6gk#!i=1811990578&k=NkhRsKN

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Very Nice! My only nit is in #6 there is some stray hair on her right cheek that should be cloned out. Other than that, nicely done!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thanks, Bro'! Funny, that one didn't bother me at first, but now I see you have a point. I'm surprised you didn't ding me on the hairs sticking up in #4. I didn't notice those either until I posted.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    My picks are 2-4-6. Really, very nicely done. Ditto on the hair.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Bro'! Funny, that one didn't bother me at first, but now I see you have a point. I'm surprised you didn't ding me on the hairs sticking up in #4. I didn't notice those either until I posted.

Now that you mention it, now I see those. I missed those the first time due to being drawn to her eyes!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Having mentioned the hair detail, which is there and can be fixed, I congratulate your for a great set of pictures and such a beautiful model.
    Light, pose, location and such a big and clean smile make your pictures very good.
    If I have to select just one, I'll go for number 6 even noticing the stray hair.
    Thanks again.
    Y.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    My picks are 2-4-6. Really, very nicely done. Ditto on the hair.
    Thanks, Charles!
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, now I see those. I missed those the first time due to being drawn to her eyes!

GaryB
    Me too I guess!
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Having mentioned the hair detail, which is there and can be fixed, I congratulate your for a great set of pictures and such a beautiful model.
    Light, pose, location and such a big and clean smile make your pictures very good.
    If I have to select just one, I'll go for number 6 even noticing the stray hair.
    Thanks again.
    Y.
    Thank you very much for the kind words, Yaflyyadie. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Great pics. Minor C&C:

#1. Background is too focused (for me). Also, perhaps have her off center towards the right 2/3 of the pic since she's looking left.

#5. Her hand looks like it's 2 feet long...maybe have her arm positioned so that it's behind the bench or on top of her head...this will also not hide her slim figure.

#7. Akward pose...doesn't look comfortable/relaxed at all.

#9. Her right hand comes from nowhere. Maybe crop horizontally and show her right arm.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thanks, Troopers. What, you don't like the basketball player hand in #5? :giggle Just kidding, I agree with your nits. I appreciate the feedback and always strive to do better.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    kdog,

I really like #9, but it seems a bit underexposed and the skin tone seems a bit green? MBP screen.

Anyway, I can't really say much, you have nearly 8,000 posts here and I have like 700 so I'm not going to make some ridiculous adjustment to you an established personal style. Just my .02
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    kdog,

I really like #9, but it seems a bit underexposed and the skin tone seems a bit green? MBP screen.
    Thanks, Quincy. Yeah, the color tone is different on this one. Cooler anyway, could easily be too green because of all the vegetation. Worth reprocessing, so thanks for that.
    Anyway, I can't really say much, you have nearly 8,000 posts here and I have like 700 so I'm not going to make some ridiculous adjustment to you an established personal style. Just my .02
    No clue what this means. If you've got some comments about my personal style, do tell. I'm all ears! ear.gif I'm mainly a landscape and nature shooter. Portrait stuff is still new to me, so I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad. Pay no mind to the fact that I've got 8,000 posts of mostly pure dribble. rolleyes1.gif

But really, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Send me a PM if you like.

Thanks!
    -joel
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thanks, Quincy. Yeah, the color tone is different on this one. Cooler anyway, could easily be too green because of all the vegetation. Worth reprocessing, so thanks for that.
    No clue what this means. If you've got some comments about my personal style, do tell. I'm all ears! ear.gif I'm mainly a landscape and nature shooter. Portrait stuff is still new to me, so I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad. Pay no mind to the fact that I've got 8,000 posts of mostly pure dribble. rolleyes1.gif

But really, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Send me a PM if you like.

Thanks!
    -joel

Joel you share my father-in-law's name. Now we're in dangerous territory!! hahaha

No, when I said "Actually, I can't say much," I didn't mean to imply I had some reserved litany about your images in my head, waiting anxiously to be blasted across the interwebz. Instead, I merely said it in humility, because while I believe in harsh, constructive criticism, I believe there is a way to go about it as gentleman, and there is nothing in this image to be harsh about anyway. But, I certainly don't like to launch into a super critique when someone probably knows a great deal more about photography than me.

That said, the only real critique I had was the tone and exposure. The whites of the eyes could probably use a very slight whitening, but I think that could be inherent in the odd tone too. I'm not talking extreme, magazine cover stuff here.

Thanks, though, kdog. I wish your attitude was more pervasive.
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    You've got a great eye for composition. Very very nice. If I was forced to pick at something, I'm personally not a fan of the pose in #7.

If forced to pick more, I love the composition in #6 ( a frame within a frame), although I think I would have liked to see it a little straighter.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    clap.gifclap Very nicely done. I'm a huge fan of #2. That one is just awesome. #6 is great too (although the hand has been mentioned). The only I don't care for is #7. The pose just seems awkard.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    good stuff again! though 3 is tosser for me. #6 her skin has all sort sof specks and marks and looks bit dirty.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Thanks, though, kdog. I wish your attitude was more pervasive.
    You too, my friend. thumb.gif
    Helvegr wrote: »
    You've got a great eye for composition. Very very nice. If I was forced to pick at something, I'm personally not a fan of the pose in #7.

If forced to pick more, I love the composition in #6 ( a frame within a frame), although I think I would have liked to see it a little straighter.
    Thanks, Helvegr. Really appreciate that. I've been working at it. I wish #6 was straight too! I cropped it too tight in camera and decided being crooked was better than losing part of the arch.
    Mike J wrote: »
    clap.gifclap Very nicely done. I'm a huge fan of #2. That one is just awesome. #6 is great too (although the hand has been mentioned). The only I don't care for is #7. The pose just seems awkard.

Thanks a bunch, Mike. Much appreciated. The pose in #7 seems quite unpopular. Interestingly, it was one of her choices.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Nice going!
    She looks like an ex-USSR chick...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gorilagorila Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Hi, Joel. #2 is very professionally executed and I liked #9 too. Thx ppl above for pointing out the hand position and color problem, I've learnt something too
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    If you've got some comments about my personal style, do tell. I'm all ears! ear.gif I'm mainly a landscape and nature shooter. Portrait stuff is still new to me, so I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

From your pics, I would have guess that you have shot portraits for some time now...you're bluffing, right? If not, you have amazing skills.

FWIW, I personally like portraits warmer...I figured the cool tone was intentional (your personal style or client request/intent) because a portrait rookie doesn't pull quality shots like those.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    gorila wrote: »
    Hi, Joel. #2 is very professionally executed and I liked #9 too. Thx ppl above for pointing out the hand position and color problem, I've learnt something too

Thanks, Gorilla!
    troopers wrote: »
    From your pics, I would have guess that you have shot portraits for some time now...you're bluffing, right? If not, you have amazing skills.

FWIW, I personally like portraits warmer...I figured the cool tone was intentional (your personal style or client request/intent) because a portrait rookie doesn't pull quality shots like those.
    Oh hey, I've done quite a few portrait shoots over the past couple of years. Compared to Landscapes and Nature which I've been doing for much longer, I consider myself still fairly new to people shooting. Didn't mean to mislead.