Options

Asking for critiques

gorilagorila Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited April 30, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, guys,
I'm quite new in photography but have huge ambition to improve my skills. I have great doubt about myself in it as in any other field. I would like to know if it is ok to post my work in the forum and, if yes, where i should do that.
Thx:bow:bow:bow

(attaching a photo I took just the day before yesterday)

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Post away! Just try to put them in the appropriate forum. Running down the list, this isn't People, Weddings, Sports, Landscape, Macro, Street, or Journeys so it must be...Other Cool Shots. Which is where I'm moving this post to. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Dark and mysterious. I'm not able to find any meaningful shapes in the bottom of the image. It takes up a rather large portion of the composition, so not having something there makes me feel something is missing.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Thx, Ryan
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 29, 2012
    Hey gorila, welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I think Ryan was correct in his evaluation. In fact, I confess that till I saw the second two, I had no idea of what I was looking at in #1. Now I get it.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 29, 2012
    it's a fabulous shot!!!

the first posted is weak but like Richard I see your vision in the next two

thumb.gif

• Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    =] thx so much guys. I really underestimated the "blankfulness" in the first one due to my mood. Well, I don't know if it helps at all, in my sd card, I can see the weak branches on the bottom part. Can u guys imagine how it would look like? What could I have done to take the photo better w that proportion in that situation?
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Were you shooting raw? I wonder if what we are facing here is one of the few cases where technology doesn't live up to vision. You've got really gentle gradients going on here. In a digital image lossy compression can cause a negative effect in that sort of image depending on how the compression was done. The tonal difference is so delicate, most compression techniques have a hard time figuring out what it can toss and what it needs to keep. I don't know for certain, but I wonder if that what we see in the first image is simply a loss of detail due to this effect.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    RyanS, possibly. I'm really new to camera dragging technique but Hv already deeply in love with it as how much it can express my feeling. So I'm trying hard not to be defensive for my work. :p ...
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Ok, it was about 2hrs before sunset in a forest w a lot of 30-yo young trees. On the ground, there were some wooden plants that "grow horizontally". I don't know how to use the horizontal thin plants in favor of the composition
  • Options
    rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    gorila wrote: »
    I have great doubt about myself in it as in any other field.

Try not to (easier said than done, I know). If, as you say, you have a lot of ambition to do well, then you will. I'm firmly of the opinion that nothing is all that difficult given enough time, patience, careful thought, and determination to get there.

The image in post #6 is very good. It creates a very powerful, but slightly fearful mood, and I like the soft ethereal texture of it.

OK, that's enough waffle...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thx, Rob