Options

Maskwa curious girl (open for critiques)

gorilagorila Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited May 1, 2012 in People
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335769616.313699.jpg
She was by an edge of the waterfall checking on the water. I have tried many ways I know (I don't know many though) to crop the photo to make it more photogenic. I can surely post the original picture Tmr when I can switch on my laptop if it helps.
Composition? Timing? Story-telling effect? Anything I can improve or new angle/ technique I can use? Thx so much!

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    gorila wrote: »
    Anything I can improve or new angle/ technique I can use? Thx so much!

In situations where water is present and there's some interaction with it - I'd certainly try some shots from as close to water level as it's possible to get -assuming you don't have access to waterproof housings / gear etc

They may well not work - or provide what you're after ... but it's a whole different ball game (imo)and some of the technical advantages are worth exploring.

pp
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    I think in this situation, I would have at least included the girls face, and shown the expression of amazement.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    to be completely honest..it's a tosser for me. there isn't much to draw me in from composition or subject matter POV and there isn't much in the way of tehcnique to hold my interest. You have to disconnect yourself emotionally from the shot and look at it as somone who was not there and does not know anything about what was going on...then ask.. is there something compelling about the shot?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    gorila,

Firstly, the only way I'm not at a completely loss as to what's going on here is the title. That's a crutch you don't want for any image.

Secondly, I agree with Qarik above and will echo that you must disconnect yourself from an image. That's difficult to to do when you have an emotional and artistic investment in this image, but, and you'll have to forgive me for my assumption, you probably don't have that with this shot.

Technically:

- The arm appears overexposed, and the image is flatly lit, which tells me this image was probably made during very harsh light. The flatness of that light causes a lack of shadow, which inherently creates interesting details, depth, etc.

- The image is so cropped, or posted from Facebook, that it appears soft. This is clear in the hand.

Compositionally

- You're using the rule of thirds, but to what end? It doesn't help here, because the angle is so off.

- The angle is just strange. Not really eye-level, but not adding interest to the image because it's a very "human way" of looking at what we're seeing here.

Artistically/Emotive content/etc.

- I kind of see what you're going for, but you failed in execution. If you had a successful image, and you took what you really saw in this as a photographer, I think you might have had something. That just comes with practice, not your fault. You'll get it at some point, and then you can go back and make this image if you remember to. Hold on to it for that reason, maybe.

Sorry if that was blunt, but it's better for you that way. Go make more pictures.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    to be completely honest..it's a tosser for me. there isn't much to draw me in from composition or subject matter POV and there isn't much in the way of tehcnique to hold my interest. You have to disconnect yourself emotionally from the shot and look at it as somone who was not there and does not know anything about what was going on...then ask.. is there something compelling about the shot?

Add to that the cardinal "rule" no hair band thingies on a persons wrist, they detract from every photo I have ever seen, ever.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    In situations where water is present and there's some interaction with it - I'd certainly try some shots from as close to water level as it's possible to get -assuming you don't have access to waterproof housings / gear etc

They may well not work - or provide what you're after ... but it's a whole different ball game (imo)and some of the technical advantages are worth exploring.

pp
    I can foresee an improvement if it was on water level. Ya, sadly, I was using 300mm to take this on the other side of the waterfall, and the choice of angle was constrained. But I guess I can make another next time I go there and find a better situation.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    Quincy T wrote: »
    gorila,

Firstly, the only way I'm not at a completely loss as to what's going on here is the title. That's a crutch you don't want for any image.

Secondly, I agree with Qarik above and will echo that you must disconnect yourself from an image. That's difficult to to do when you have an emotional and artistic investment in this image, but, and you'll have to forgive me for my assumption, you probably don't have that with this shot.

Technically:

- The arm appears overexposed, and the image is flatly lit, which tells me this image was probably made during very harsh light. The flatness of that light causes a lack of shadow, which inherently creates interesting details, depth, etc.

- The image is so cropped, or posted from Facebook, that it appears soft. This is clear in the hand.

Compositionally

- You're using the rule of thirds, but to what end? It doesn't help here, because the angle is so off.

- The angle is just strange. Not really eye-level, but not adding interest to the image because it's a very "human way" of looking at what we're seeing here.

Artistically/Emotive content/etc.

- I kind of see what you're going for, but you failed in execution. If you had a successful image, and you took what you really saw in this as a photographer, I think you might have had something. That just comes with practice, not your fault. You'll get it at some point, and then you can go back and make this image if you remember to. Hold on to it for that reason, maybe.

Sorry if that was blunt, but it's better for you that way. Go make more pictures.

No worries, guys. In fact, I wasn't really satisfied with the shot either. I noticed the overexposure, so I tried to tone it down by 10, but obviously, it's still...meh! Angle... again, agreed! I hope I can have some examples of how ppl take good shots with limited angle! :help

......oh, umm, the original photo is 5mb, how do I attache here?