Options

Lastolite Hi-Light, pull back

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited May 1, 2012 in People
First time to use my new toy, daughter, grandson and second baby on the way, the pink balloon was a great idea from dd. Yes these are expensive however I just booked a $400.00 + evening event where I plan to use this, so that helps ! I don't know my way around studio lighting yet as you can see by the underexposure, I had 2 ABs 800 inside and a shoot through umbrella with a big light with 5 bulbs in it, and it was all new, so not bad in my eyes. My DD wants to blow it up and put on canvas and she has never said that before.

i-6LKc2J3-L.jpg

i-TjW7TSg-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Very nice! Thanks for the pull back. Got to love a gal with pink Alien Bees!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 30, 2012
    The shot looks great, Trudy. You have a beautiful daughter and grandson.

Interesting piece of gear. Funny, I just did a hi-key shoot yesterday and found that I needed 6 or 7 feet minimum behind the model. So I can instantly see the utility of this. Did you get pretty even lighting on it?
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Great shot. Thanks so much for that pull back. I've had one of these lastolite's on my wish list for quite some time.

One thing, I'm seeing a little bit of a "strange" shadow on the lower part of the image. I thought it was a smudge on my monitor at first, but her foot almost has a ghost image behind it. There is a similar spot by the model's right knee. Is this maybe from post processing? Just wondering if you had extra work to do because of a seam of some sort as the result of the background?
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Great shot. Thanks so much for that pull back. I've had one of these lastolite's on my wish list for quite some time.

One thing, I'm seeing a little bit of a "strange" shadow on the lower part of the image. I thought it was a smudge on my monitor at first, but her foot almost has a ghost image behind it. There is a similar spot by the model's right knee. Is this maybe from post processing? Just wondering if you had extra work to do because of a seam of some sort as the result of the background?

+1 - appears very much like the clone stamp used to erase the line where the lastolite hits the ground grabbed some of the foot and the knee. As a side lastolite makes an ascessory that deals with this issue:

http://www.lastolite.us/super-white-vinyl-cleanable-train-5x7-for-ll-lb8857
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Quite frankly I'm impressed, not just by this wonderful portrait but by the functionality of Hi-Light.
    Bravo
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012

yes it looks like I was a bit sloppy in cloning the line out from the "white train" she sat on. you have keen eyes!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012

Dreadnote wrote: »
    +1 - appears very much like the clone stamp used to erase the line where the lastolite hits the ground grabbed some of the foot and the knee. As a side lastolite makes an ascessory that deals with this issue:

http://www.lastolite.us/super-white-vinyl-cleanable-train-5x7-for-ll-lb8857

that is exactly what she is sitting on, it is really underexposed and that makes it seem not really white.
    Trudy

NIKON D700