Options

Problems with Nikon 50mm 1.8D

ChanderjeetChanderjeet Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited May 15, 2012 in Cameras
Hello all,

I just picked up a brand new Nikon 50mm 1.8D. I've put it on a D90. Now when I try to use aperture mode, I can't rotate the wheel and change the aperture. It is stuck @ F9. However in the "P" mode, I can go to F1.8

The manual aperture ring on the lens is set to F22 and the lock is ON. The lens is a little tight but it does click everytime I attach it on the camera. It is autofocusing properly. I am no expert so maybe there is something simple that I am missing. From all that I know, when I use the Aperture mode, can I not simply rotate the wheel and that should change the F value?

Tia

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Have you tried both the front and rear dials? Alos, so it in Manual mode, as the aperture should behave the same there. What you are expecting is correct. If I remember correctly, I think there's menu options to reverse the direction, and to switch the two dials. If the aperture ring on the lens wasn't set correctly (to f/22 or whatever the smallest aperture is), you'd get "EE" in the display.

Brian
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    try cleaning the contacts on both body and lens. Try another lens to make sure that is working. if you have another body try that lens on that body.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Brian , Qarik : thanks for your replies. I haven't tried the front dial. Will check that. I think this is just another case of an idiot with a camera.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Told you it was the case of an idiot. Got it fixed. thanks !!
  • Options
    endure161endure161 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2012
    Lots of guys find that they have to lock the lens aperture ring in order to have the aperture adjusted within the camera. Don't ask how I know....