Options

Cassey Fitness Shoot

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited May 6, 2012 in People
She wanted a fitness look. How did we do? Comments and feedback would be great.

i-zvNmT67-XL.jpg

i-K73Svd3-XL.jpg

i-fQ6Xgz9-L.jpg

i-xPDKNF3-XL.jpg

i-wZrQxPL-XL.jpg

i-cjqd3vs-XL.jpg

i-XHXx87t-XL.jpg

i-ngQS5xP-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    More great shots!!! Although, not sure how the laptop in #4 ties into a fitness look.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    More great shots!!! Although, not sure how the laptop in #4 ties into a fitness look.

Thanks, man! She has a popular fitness blog. deal.gif
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Great shots but I would suggest cleaning up her bikini line...
    I apologize if I am out of line but that just jumped at me in 6 and 7.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    SLRdude wrote: »
    Great shots but I would suggest cleaning up her bikini line...
    I apologize if I am out of line but that just jumped at me in 6 and 7.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm kind of tolerant about that sort of thing so I'm glad you mentioned it. Glad you like the shots, and thanks for checking in. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Really great shots. I've been working on my own composition skills and so often see people chopping off limbs and such in their pictures. You do a fantastic job of framing just right.

Its more of a question then a critique (because you obviously know what you are doing), but in #5, the cropping of arm on the right side, I'm not sure I understand that particular crop. If I imagine myself doing that shot, I think I would have left the elbow in the frame. It still looks great, but I'm curious if there was any particular reason for that crop style?

Also I have to second the bikini line comment, it stuck out to me a little as well.

Great work!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    goood stuff! I was just about to mention the bikini line in 6,7 as well. Really..it just jumped out at me too!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Very nice, Joel! High key is a total winner for fitness ads...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    A omment from wifey: "how can she pretend to be doing fitness with all her hair down". headscratch.gif
    I think she got you, partner! mwink.gif
    Man, am I lucky to have an in-house female critic for all my model shots rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Really great shots. I've been working on my own composition skills and so often see people chopping off limbs and such in their pictures. You do a fantastic job of framing just right.

Its more of a question then a critique (because you obviously know what you are doing), but in #5, the cropping of arm on the right side, I'm not sure I understand that particular crop. If I imagine myself doing that shot, I think I would have left the elbow in the frame. It still looks great, but I'm curious if there was any particular reason for that crop style?

Also I have to second the bikini line comment, it stuck out to me a little as well.

Great work!
    Hey Helvegr, thanks for the very kind words! Truth be told, I've learned a lot of my composition skills by posting shots here and taking my lumps in the past. Believe me! :whip

Number #5 was one of Cassey's choices, even though I knew the framing was a bit sketchy. I knew it was a bit awkward when I shot it, but everything else looked so good I went with it. Funny, non-photographers don't care about rules -- they just know what they like. deal.gif
    Thanks again for checking in. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    goood stuff! I was just about to mention the bikini line in 6,7 as well. Really..it just jumped out at me too!
    Thanks, Daniel. You guys were absolutely right. That definitely needed to be FIXED and I'm so glad you guys pointed it out. Great feedback. I went ahead and replaced the images. So if you reload the page you'll see the fixes. No point in leaving those old ones around. I'm glad you like the shots otherwise, and thanks for checking in. thumb.gif
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Very nice, Joel! High key is a total winner for fitness ads...
    Thanks, Nik!
    Nikolai wrote: »
    A omment from wifey: "how can she pretend to be doing fitness with all her hair down". headscratch.gif
    I think she got you, partner! mwink.gif
    Man, am I lucky to have an in-house female critic for all my model shots rolleyes1.gif

Guilty as charged! Total poser shots. Funny, we started with her hair up and she decided pretty quick she wanted it down. Hey, I just do what I'm told! My wife is getting to be quite the critic too, btw. nod.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012
    One more just for fun.

IMG0382-Edit-XL.jpg
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    These shots are wonderful for her purpose, perfect in my opinion, I have one itty bitty nit... the black shorts she is wearing in the first few have a teeny black thread or something on her left thigh that is a tiny imperfection in a sea of perfection and thus it bugs me. lol. Great job, very nicely done !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Great shots. My only nit is that I'd prefer the laptop shot not to be on the infinite white, particularly not with the reflection on the ground. All the other shots feel like they should be in a studio because they're all about your model and her fitness. But the one with a laptop is trying to tell a story which feels out of place in a studio -- would make much more sense in a gym.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    There's some really strong stuff here, kdog, and since you're "just getting into this kind of thing" I think you should be particularly proud of really delivering some images that the client is sure to love. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Very nicely done...big congrats!!
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    These shots are wonderful for her purpose, perfect in my opinion, I have one itty bitty nit... the black shorts she is wearing in the first few have a teeny black thread or something on her left thigh that is a tiny imperfection in a sea of perfection and thus it bugs me. lol. Great job, very nicely done !
    Hey Trudy, thanks very much for the nice comments! I had to look at the originals to see the black thread you were talking about and found it. It's a seam in the shorts that kind of hangs down a bit. I took the liberty of calling your eye doctor and cancelling your next appointment -- you don't need it!! rolleyes1.gif
    Great shots. My only nit is that I'd prefer the laptop shot not to be on the infinite white, particularly not with the reflection on the ground. All the other shots feel like they should be in a studio because they're all about your model and her fitness. But the one with a laptop is trying to tell a story which feels out of place in a studio -- would make much more sense in a gym.
    Thanks, Brett! The laptop shot was her idea and didn't make much sense to me either. But I like it! Actually, I like all the shots we got, over three hundred of them. She's a fitness trainer, not a model. But she was great to work with.
    Quincy T wrote: »
    There's some really strong stuff here, kdog, and since you're "just getting into this kind of thing" I think you should be particularly proud of really delivering some images that the client is sure to love. thumb.gif
    Hey Quincy, thanks for the compliments. She LOVES the shots and that makes me happy indeed. iloveyou.gif
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Very nicely done...big congrats!!
    Hey Charles, coming from you that's a HUGE compliment. Thank you! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Cassey has some pictures up on her blog, which is looking pretty good. http://blogilates.com/diet-2/what-do-you-mean-i-cant-look-like-this-all-the-time

Her facebook page seems pretty popular too. http://www.facebook.com/blogilates

Frankly, I'm pretty tickled to see my work get exposure like this. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    These are just plain great, Joel!! Definitely succeeded with the stated brief - I'm sure she's thrilled, and you should be too!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    Professional quality work!

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    These are just plain great, Joel!! Definitely succeeded with the stated brief - I'm sure she's thrilled, and you should be too!
    Thanks for the kind words, Divamum. Yep, we're both very pleased with the shots.
    Sam wrote: »
    Professional quality work!

Sam
    Hey Sam, thanks very much. Compliments don't get much better than that. Really appreciate it. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    anthonyrobinsonanthonyrobinson Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Nice shots, I'd be proud of them; no wonder she is stoked.

One thing for your consideration, next time you have a woman laying down (unless she's teenager or younger), get her to tuck one knee up a bit, not all the way to the chest, it kicks the booty up and creates a more flattering hourglass shape. Picked up that tip from Sue Bryce.

Just as a side note to anyone/everyone, I REALLY recommend purchasing her Creative Live tutorial for all sorts of tips for shooting women.