Options

I decided to buy an Olympus OM-D E-M5

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 6, 2012 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    I love that shot blown up. Gorgeous images. That's an EVF correct? How's the shutter lag? The camera is reminiscent of my pop's oldie Olympus, I still use the 50mm 1.4 Zuiko on my Canon w/ an adapter, love it. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 30, 2012
    I was just reading about this body today. Is this the first Olympus CMOS sensor?

ISO 3200 is very smooth with a very fine grain, and not unpleasant at all. I bet 16" x 20" prints would look splendid at these settings. Still tons of detail. For larger I would use some additional luminance NR as well.

This is major improvement over previous Olympus digital bodies.

Congratulations on the new body and bravo to Olympus. thumb.gifclap

Thanks for posting the link to the test gallery.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    That is a camera that is getting a lot of attention, apparently for good reason. I must admit to giving it sidelong glances. ;-) I think micro4/3 is really starting to come into its own and showing what is possible with that sensor and lens size.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012
    mr peas wrote: »
    I love that shot blown up. Gorgeous images. That's an EVF correct? How's the shutter lag? The camera is reminiscent of my pop's oldie Olympus, I still use the 50mm 1.4 Zuiko on my Canon w/ an adapter, love it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks :-) Yes it has an EVF. In good light you don't notice any shutter lag. Of course Olympus in their marketing claims it's presently the world's fastest AF.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I was just reading about this body today. Is this the first Olympus CMOS sensor?

ISO 3200 is very smooth with a very fine grain, and not unpleasant at all. I bet 16" x 20" prints would look splendid at these settings. Still tons of detail. For larger I would use some additional luminance NR

Thanks Ziggy. I think the ISO performance is very respectable and more than adequate for my purposes :-) I hope to not be in the higher ISOs except when I really need it. Most of the time I have a reasonable amount of light.
  • Options
    RStrickRStrick Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2012
    Thank you for the test gallery (and all the other wonderful photos). That camera is looking like a real winner.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    Yes, this is Olympus's big step forward on the imaging side of the equation. In addition to competitive high ISO, the camera also seems to have great dynamic range. Need to under expose by a stop or more and then dote over the raw file in Lightroom and Photoshop? Yes you can. And yes, owners of recent Nikon, Pentax and Sony cameras, I know. I do know, but this is Olympus and Panasonic finally playing catchup :).
  • Options
    SmordantSmordant Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2012
    Looks nice I've been checking out the reviews, I use the E-PL2. Reminds me of the OM 4 collecting dust on my shelf.