Options

Been awhile

B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited May 6, 2012 in People
Latest Senior shoot. Here is one of my favorites from the day. It was cold and I had to try and edit out some red noses with mixed results. Anyway thought I would ask for some C and C.

IMG1769-XL.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    If the greenery was even more to the viewers right I would have moved her over to get rid of the distracting shed in the top left. I always try to look for light direction and the light is flat and not as flattering as light with direction. I'd also crop out the hand and help her under her eyes.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I'd have to agree, always try and look at light to shadow ratios for more dramatic results.
    That being said I think you did a fine job with the editing though ideally a reschedule would have saved much work in post regarding "red" nose associated with cold weather and shooting closeups/headshots
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    I will have to work on that. I always tend to fully light the face getting rid of all the shadows. I also struggle with the bags under the eyes. I use the patch tool to remove them, but I think it looks unnatural if I remove completely. So I usually crank the opacity back down. Anyway thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    For the "under-eye" work, a while back Divamum posted a link to a process that works wonders. Unfortunately, I can't find it, but I have used the process since I read it.

Here is a basic workflow in Photoshop.

Make a new layer and choose soft light and then check the 50% gray box.

Then select the dodge tool with a soft brush with an exposure of about 17%.

Use a brush size just a tad larger than the dark area under the eye and and go over the dark area with the dodge brush. Work it until you achieve the results you want. This removes the dark color without removing the texture.

Turning the layer on and off will let you compare the original to the rework.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    For the "under-eye" work, a while back Divamum posted a link to a process that works wonders. Unfortunately, I can't find it, but I have used the process since I read it.

Here is a basic workflow in Photoshop.

Make a new layer and choose soft light and then check the 50% gray box.

Then select the dodge tool with a soft brush with an exposure of about 17%.

Use a brush size just a tad larger than the dark area under the eye and and go over the dark area with the dodge brush. Work it until you achieve the results you want. This removes the dark color without removing the texture.

Turning the layer on and off will let you compare the original to the rework.

Hope this helps.

Where is the 50% grey box??
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Thanks Bryce I figured it out.