Options

Sage advice required, in return, internet <3.

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited May 7, 2012 in Cameras
So, I'm in a pretty GASeous mood lately. I sold my 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L because the only thing I used it for were occasional outings (whales in Alaska) and models (Scott Kelby told me to do this personally. I listened. Fascinating stuff honestly.) Obviously, I would like to recover that focal length, so I've been looking at a 70-200 f/2.8L or 2.8 IS, but can't decide. I sold the 100-400 for $600 local, because it had some mechanical problems but still functioned pretty well. Anyway, that really has nothing to do with this thread.

I'm considering getting rid of my 7D altogether and moving to a 1D MK III since it may be a better camera for the following couple of reasons.

I've already determined that I'm not too concerned about really reaching out with my lenses. I'll move my feet if I must, and I'm not a wildlife photographer. It's neat, but oh well...not particularly interested. I own a 24-70 f/2.8L and a 50mm f/1.4. I'll own the 70-200 soon enough.

I love my 7D. I thought I would keep it forever, honestly, but it occasionally irritates me with the spotty AF. It is entirely possible that I am just an idiot, but I've put over 15,000 frames downrange on this thing, and I feel like I just don't get as many keepers as I should.

However, that's not really the whole shebang. I'm anxious to go full frame. 1.3x is close enough I guess. 5D MK II seems nice, but then I think I'd just drool over the 5D MK III all day.

Video isn't a concern. I've got a point and shoot which makes good enough video.

I don't know. Convince me not to do this. It's not like I'd be spending a great deal of money. I think I could get at least $1,200 for the 7D, and would look for a 1D Mk III in the $1500-1600 range.

Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I'm considering getting rid of my 7D altogether and moving to a 1D MK III. I'm going to be, barring acts of God, pursuing a photojournalism degree after my exit from the Marine Corps.

I wouldn't buy a camera based on that. When are you getting out? How quickly will you pursue the degree and where? Are you going to try and get hired while in school? Maybe by the time you gt paying work the MK IV is the new hotness.

I'm not suggesting you not make the purchase, I just think that the future, possible, maybe career is not a relevant factor in the decision.

Others, who know more about Canon's lineup can speak to the specific comparison.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a camera based on that. When are you getting out? How quickly will you pursue the degree and where? Are you going to try and get hired while in school? Maybe by the time you gt paying work the MK IV is the new hotness.

I'm not suggesting you not make the purchase, I just think that the future, possible, maybe career is not a relevant factor in the decision.

Others, who know more about Canon's lineup can speak to the specific comparison.

It was honestly just shameless storytelling. It doesn't really weigh much on my decision.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited May 2, 2012
    The Canon 1D MKIII is indeed an excellent "value" in the Canon professional line of bodies. Of course, the 1D MKIV is what I consider the best of the bunch, momentarily discounting the 1D X because it's a whole different philosophy.

If you should get a 1D MKIII, also investigate FlexNR and Neat Image noise reduction. Basically, FlexNR leverages the 1D MKIII, Photoshop and Neat Image software to produce absolutely excellent high-ISO images. (To do it properly you also need an older version of Zoom Browser with RIT technology, although a current Lightroom or PSCS5 with the latest ACR is also a very good starting point.)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141192
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Canon 1D MKIII is indeed an excellent "value" in the Canon professional line of bodies. Of course, the 1D MKIV is what I consider the best of the bunch, momentarily discounting the 1D X because it's a whole different philosophy.

If you should get a 1D MKIII, also investigate FlexNR and Neat Image noise reduction. Basically, FlexNR leverages the 1D MKIII, Photoshop and Neat Image software to produce absolutely excellent high-ISO images. (To do it properly you also need an older version of Zoom Browser with RIT technology, although a current Lightroom or PSCS5 with the latest ACR is also a very good starting point.)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141192

Thanks Ziggy. 1D MK IV is well out of the price range right now.

I use Viveza's DFine, so I wonder if there may be something similar there? Those are some impressive examples you've shared, however, I don't want to have to invest in expensive new software to get high quality OOC. While it doesn't seem to be the case based on what I'm seeing around forums/reviews/etc., I don't want to have to rely on PP to get a better image out of the camera. Or, it could be that I am just doing a poor job with the 7D; not using it to its full potential.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    So, I'm in a pretty GASeous mood lately. I sold my 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L because the only thing I used it for were occasional outings (whales in Alaska) and models (Scott Kelby told me to do this personally. I listened. Fascinating stuff honestly.) Obviously, I would like to recover that focal length, so I've been looking at a 70-200 f/2.8L or 2.8 IS, but can't decide.

IS is useless for sports or action because you need shutter speeds high enough to freeze the action, and that will also eliminate camera shake. However, IS is nice for handheld landscapes and low light shooting of still subjects.

1/25, 115mm:
    http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/Family/Sebec-April-2012/i-ZJcBhmn/0/X3/5D39634-X3.jpg
    I love my 7D. I thought I would keep it forever, honestly, but it occasionally irritates me with the spotty AF. It is entirely possible that I am just an idiot, but I've put over 15,000 frames downrange on this thing, and I feel like I just don't get as many keepers as I should.

I felt that way about my 7D after a season of soccer. I sent it to Canon service under warranty, and they fixed the AF, admitting that it was out of spec. I had it back in 7 Days and it was like a different camera. If I were you I'd pay to have this done before you make your decision.
    However, that's not really the whole shebang. I'm anxious to go full frame. 1.3x is close enough I guess. 5D MK II seems nice, but then I think I'd just drool over the 5D MK III all day.

For what you say you want to do I would take the AF and build of the 1D3 over the FF of the 5D2. EDIT: but a properly sorted 7D might satisfy you.
    I don't know. Convince me not to do this. It's not like I'd be spending a great deal of money. I think I could get at least $1,200 for the 7D, and would look for a 1D Mk III in the $1500-1600 range.

If you don't usually need to crop very much, I say go for it. EDIT: However, whether you sell it or keep it, you will probably need to spend some money for Canon to recalibrate the AF on your 7D if it is out of warranty, which it sounds like it is. Figure $200. So then your 1D3 will cost you $500-600. For that money you could get a grip and put some towards the 70-200.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Thanks, jm. Maybe I ought to avoid the IS. I shoot landscapes once in a blue moon, and my subjects seem to be in constant motion even when I tell them to sit still (I'M LOOKING AT YOU YOU DAMN CORGI. :) ) The 70-200 2.8 is sharper anyway, at least based on what I've seen.

I don't know if the AF has a problem. It's not horrible, but it just seems kind of unreliable at times. Maybe you're right, and I can just send it off. I'm not sure if I'm still under warranty, I bought it in early 2010.

I crop occasionally, but try not to put myself in that situation...lots of street photography has made me that way. Along with that, the build of the 1D3 is one of the number one factors for me. I'm still fascinated by the benefits of FF, but I just wonder how much real difference I'll notice.

I try to play devil's advocate for myself as much as possible when I feel this way. It helps me know I'm doing the right thing, but I'm glad you all are here to help.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Unless you are going to be a freelancer, most sizable organizations have an equipment pool that their photojournalists draw from. Therefore, having your own gear won't really bring any added benefit, over perhaps familiarity with the gear. Of course, you are just as likely to find the pool populated with Nikon gear.

If freelancing is your plan, then it might make sense, but there really are few pubs that are going to be able to tell you have a 1D vs a 7D. The 1D has the benefit of putting up with abuse (and why they show up in press pools), so if you see yourself covering "abuse likely" stories, it might be worth getting.

I suspect that the best investment into a career is NOT gear, but you. Invest in classes, photoshoots, and maybe even a contest or two to really learn, develop a style, and build your 'book'. What gear you have is really not relevant.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I'm still fascinated by the benefits of FF, but I just wonder how much real difference I'll notice.

FF is mostly about better high ISO performance, a larger viewfinder, and better compatibility with primes and L zooms. Also ultimate IQ at 100% view but that is only relevant for printing very large. I think the DOF issue is overblown.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    Unless you are going to be a freelancer, most sizable organizations have an equipment pool that their photojournalists draw from. Therefore, having your own gear won't really bring any added benefit, over perhaps familiarity with the gear. Of course, you are just as likely to find the pool populated with Nikon gear.

If freelancing is your plan, then it might make sense, but there really are few pubs that are going to be able to tell you have a 1D vs a 7D. The 1D has the benefit of putting up with abuse (and why they show up in press pools), so if you see yourself covering "abuse likely" stories, it might be worth getting.

I suspect that the best investment into a career is NOT gear, but you. Invest in classes, photoshoots, and maybe even a contest or two to really learn, develop a style, and build your 'book'. What gear you have is really not relevant.

Thanks, cmason, I agree completely, and while I rarely have time...when I do, I attend every photo workshop available to me in the lovely Tampa area. However, since I can nearly trade straight up from my 7D to a 1D, I'm more curious if there are photographic benefits, to doing so. I probably should have left out the little personal story, which I think I will edit now.

I'm looking for real world users of the 1d Mk III, and preferably those who have used the 7D in reality (not "a buddy's I borrowed for a shoot for a few minutes or so) or have found it a worthy upgrade (or not) from other cameras.

Thanks all the same!

BREAK

jm, what you said is something I find favorable. Outside of large prints (who knows, but not a big concern now, I'd rate this about the same as the video feature of the 7D hahah, probably not really a 1 to 1 trade there...), those qualities you mentioned are what I'm looking for, at least in part.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2012
    Friendly bump, just curious about this.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Friendly bump, just curious about this.

OK, get the 1DmkIII ...... or maybe the 5DmkIII
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    I'm looking for real world users of the 1d Mk III, and preferably those who have used the 7D in reality (not "a buddy's I borrowed for a shoot for a few minutes or so) or have found it a worthy upgrade (or not) from other cameras.

Bought a used 1Dm3 In Jan 10 (iirc) and taken prob 100k+ frames since then. Never used a 7D - so only half the deal :)
    I considered a 7D at the time I bought the 1D (v. similar prices) ... being aware of the differences.

Whilst it's currently in for repair (prob my fault) I'm slumming it with a 40D.
    Apart from the build quality ... and the 'proper' duped portrait controls compared with an add-on box and the 2 card slots and the AF (working to f8) and ... the thing I really miss is the AF point layout (and No) compared with the 40D ... and the 7D (yes, I know the 7D has more than 9, but the layout / shape / diamond is v. similar)

Whether this is relevant to you, I don't know ... but it's a pita for me.
    Probably of no interest as you're not bothered about w/life - but the vast majority of bird /animal (not macro) pics on my site were taken with the 1Dm3.

The form factor / body shape of the 40D /7D has one advantage over the 1D series which also probably won't affect you ...when used with a smaller diameter lens, it's possible to get lower :)

Given pots 'o loot / lottery win I'd also like a mk4 ...

pp
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    Bought a used 1Dm3 In Jan 10 (iirc) and taken prob 100k+ frames since then. Never used a 7D - so only half the deal :)
    I considered a 7D at the time I bought the 1D (v. similar prices) ... being aware of the differences.

Whilst it's currently in for repair (prob my fault) I'm slumming it with a 40D.
    Apart from the build quality ... and the 'proper' duped portrait controls compared with an add-on box and the 2 card slots and the AF (working to f8) and ... the thing I really miss is the AF point layout (and No) compared with the 40D ... and the 7D (yes, I know the 7D has more than 9, but the layout / shape / diamond is v. similar)

Whether this is relevant to you, I don't know ... but it's a pita for me.
    Probably of no interest as you're not bothered about w/life - but the vast majority of bird /animal (not macro) pics on my site were taken with the 1Dm3.

The form factor / body shape of the 40D /7D has one advantage over the 1D series which also probably won't affect you ...when used with a smaller diameter lens, it's possible to get lower :)

Given pots 'o loot / lottery win I'd also like a mk4 ...

pp

Thanks, Paul. That's a good note on the ability of the 7D to get lower in any position. It seems that the AF abilities of the 1D over the 7D is an oft repeated thing in discussions on the subject. Since the cameras are such a similar price at this point, it's reasonable that it's a hotly debated topic.

I appreciate your input. I'm still searching, and asking myself whether or not I want to trade away my beloved 7D. It's even more difficult to find someone interested in trading, and I think I may have to come to terms with the fact that I may have to just sell my camera first. Now that would be difficult for me.