Options

Akilah - Class Of 2012 U of M

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 4, 2012 in People
Go Blue! Photographed last night between 6:15 and 8:00 PM with a very overcast sky.

Does 2 and 4 look too "strobish" to you?

webAkilah-18-L.jpg

webAkilah-5-L.jpg

webAkilah-24-L.jpg

webAkilah-26-L.jpg

webAkilah-28-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Bryce:
    As your question, my untrained eyes say yes.
    To the ones that receive the pictures it might not be a problem, but I know your quality of work and have to honestly reply.
    JMHO.
    Carlos
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 2, 2012
    2 maybe just a little, but 4 looks fine to me. I'm sure she'll love them, but you can always strive for better next time. Bigger/closer modifier maybe?
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I'd that the strobe was a bit strong on some of these yes and I really like number five the most but I would tone down the amount of light on her right arm a bit.
    Nice job on that one, one tiny nit on her pose, I'm not liking how her index finger "appears" to be poking the side of her head. Perhaps if she would have relaxed that a bit :D
    Good work on this series overall.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I'm with kdog - 2 yes, 4 no. I also like 5, although I'd lose the writing on the deck (first thing my eye picked up, I'm afraid). Be careful on 3 how her skirt has pulled up under her - it exposes her legs in a possibly questionable manner (might bother some, won't bother others at all - ymmv).

Nice job overall! thumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    It would not look so flashist if your falsh was equal to your bkg. In these instances they flash is too hot compared to the bkg. If they were closer in exposure it would be much harder to tell.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    You question seems to imply that looking strobist is a bad thing. I'm sure there are those that would disagree with that...
    I don't know if #2 is looks too strobist but to me her face looks a little hot. I'm also not sure if the tree behind is catching some of the flash or not but the overall brightness of the tree is distracting to me.
    #4 I have a similar problem with the tree trunk above her being too bright. The exposure on her face looks good to me though.
    Now having said that, I really like #1.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give input everyone. It is very appreciated!

Using some of your opinions, I've done a rework of sorts on both 2 and 4.

I'm on the fence about the storbist look. Part of me thinks outdoor scenes should look completely natural and the other part likes some of the drama that can be introduced with noticeable strobing.

Here are the "re-works".

Thanks again, Bryce

2 rework
    webAkilah-5corrected-L.jpg

4 rework
    webAkilah-26orrected-L.jpg

And...

Here's a black and white head shot that I kinda liked...

webAkilah-34bw-L.jpg