Options

Grey Backdrop

adamczadamcz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 4, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
New to the forums and it's been a while since i've really involved myself with the photo community but was looking for a little help and thought this may be a good place to look. I don't currently own any backdrop equipment and have been having a hard time trying to find a photo of a grey backdrop lighting similar to the attached photos. I was hoping someone may have one tucked away in their archives that they would be willing to pass on?! :D The images attached are a good example of what I hoping to come across, minus the models/furniture pieces. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

mod edit: image removed for noncompliance with forum rules. Adam, you may post a link to the image.

I've moved this over to MYOB for more attention

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    The backdrop for #1 is really nice

My read: I think the shadows conflict

Look at her shadow from a forward light; yet the backdrop is darker gray, it should be lit. Might be neat PP

BTW.. Welcome
    Rags
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    Both photos are on white seamless; most likely a cyclorama, judging by the width. For the first image, the lighting is as follows: The first light is aimed downward at a 45 degree angle at her face, washing onto her torso. It's slightly camera right and probably an umbrella. The second light is low and at camera left, next to the photographer and is possibly a softbox. Exposure was set for the second light, which is approximately one stop less than the first light (hence her washed-out features and the dark shadows). The darkest part of the shadow, behind her and between her feet, is caused by her location is relation to the lights, the convergence of their "beams" and the curve of the seamless. There are no lights "on the background", as there are only the two lights in use, therefore leaving the background a light gray, rather than it's actual shade of white. The second image is very similar, except that the lighting ratio and modifiers were changed. I've used this same setup many times.

Welcome aboard.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    When following your description - I can understand it. So the softbox falls short of lighting the backdrop?

Is white seamless a firm material, my backdrops are wrinkly cotton
    Rags
  • Options
    adamczadamcz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2012
    Thanks so much for the replies - great info if I was looking to do my own shooting to achieve the desired results. Although, and unfortunately, I do not own any sort of backdrops or seamless material to shoot with and I believe maybe the original post may have not been worded correctly, my fault. What I am hoping to find or come across is someone who may have a photo of just the background with similar results.

eL eSs Vee - you mentioned that you've used the same setup before. Would you happen to have a photo laying around of just the white seamless backdrop with similar results that you may be willing to pass on or that I may purchase from you? I'd be happy to compensate if needed.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Adam,

You can get so close that most people can't tell using a simple image editing program. One item of note, that backdrop is not gray. It is very close to gray, but it isn't exactly. How closely the background needs to match is dependent on what your intended use is. If you don't need it to be a perfect match, then 30 seconds with a gradient tool should get you quite close.

Also, please be aware of the forum rules on images you don't own:
    Posts containing other people's images must clearly give credit to the original photographer or the images will be changed to links.

Please consider editing the original post to include the links to the original photographer.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs