edited May 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
1) Environment
DSC00748-XL.jpg

2) Portrait
DSC00758-XL.jpg

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I love #2, that face and expression are sublime. The comp is very effective. The bokeh in the upper left hand corner is kind of funky and draws my attention away from the subject.

The first one is excellent also but I find the passerby as not adding much to the image and probably would have preferred a crop or comp w/o him.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    You have so many textures over there. I know this is people
    shot, but that wall behind the people in #1 draws me. It would
    make such a great backdrop for a fairly formal portrait shot.

Sometimes, in these shots of yours with so many elements
    in them, I stop and look just at the things you are not
    featuring.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    ....Sometimes, in these shots of yours with so many elements
    in them, I stop and look just at the things you are not featuring.

thumb.gif I was thinking the same thing.

You always seem to have so much 'more' in your shots that makes me just scour the whole image. Maybe it's a geographic difference and you're bringing me images to view from a far and distant place which is different from my world, thus making it interesting to analyze?

In any case, the portrait is awesome and the environment has my attention to study life in a distant place.

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    It is good to see shots from China from you!

The two go well together with the first presenting the environment and the second the portrait. I am not sure about the color (vs the b/w you always posted before in China). Like the second bokehed person in the second shot as adding a lot to it.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    I'm not sure if I've already said this, but it was so nice to be back in Shanghai. Especially in my old haunts. There are definite signs of changes (you'll see a lot of bricked up doors and windows) but the spirit and community is still generally there. I'd be walking down Hefei Lu and hear people call out or wave to me. It's been well over a year, but there was such a nice warmth and familiarity to it all.

As to b&w shots? I'll let the next couple of posts answer that question. I might slip some Melbourne ones in as well, just to confuse you.