Options

Flag photos in camera with Nikon??

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited May 8, 2012 in Cameras
Is there a way to flag a photo in the camera? D300s, D700, D3s, D4? There has to be a way to mark or rate in some way right? Hoping to make some sorting for quick press releases faster.

I can't find it in the manual, but that doesn't mean I am looking in the right place.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited May 4, 2012
    I believe that many Nikon cameras allow you to leave an "Image Comment" during playback. That would be the ideal time to 'code' the image for value or quality.

Some Nikon cameras also allow a "Voice Memo" to be added during playback. That's another alternative and allows more communication with the individual(s) doing sorting and editing.

If you shoot RAW you can also create a JPG file in the camera (with some Nikon bodies), and use those JPG files as an indicator of either selection or processing treatment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2012
    I will look into the comment and try it. I think it is a preset sort of like copyright info. And I believe it applies it to all the photos. The voice memo could be good, but I don't think LR will see it. The JPG idea is ok. But it is slow. You need to open the edit dialog and save it.

I just want a quick way to flag something during my preview play back. Very surprised there is not a way to do this on the D3s or D4. Should be a dedicated button for it.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2012
    Just tried the voice memo. It is pretty smooth. 1 button push and record away. Could be very good for race results or fight results. And LR will even playback the audio file if you click it in the metadata. But there is nothing that jumps out at you about the file while viewing in LR. Star ratings are pretty universal. Doesn't appear there is a smooth way to do what I want. Oh well, you gotta hope for something right?
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Use the lock key on a pci you want to tag. When I view the pics in Photomechanic, the pics I locked down appear as tags and I can sort them out quicker to get to the pic I want.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2012
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Use the lock key on a pci you want to tag. When I view the pics in Photomechanic, the pics I locked down appear as tags and I can sort them out quicker to get to the pic I want.

I will try it and see what it looks like in LR.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Yep picture locking is the way to go. It not only applies an identifiable characteristic to the image readable by most any computer program, ...it also enhances the protection of the image, period!!

Lightroom may have trouble importing images that are locked, however, since the file is in fact a locked file. You'll have to download manually, then browse in Photomechanic (I prefer Nikon View NX) or a similar RAW browser program that allows you to filter by locked status.

The 5D mk3 / 1DX feature for flagging is neat, but still no more than a bell / whistle considering the alternative that we've already had for years.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum