lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 8, 2012 in Street and Documentary
714267206350b336bcf2o-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Please tell me that this wasn't taken with your IPhone. Very, very interesting capture. It holds my interest while my mind concocts story lines to go with it.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    it was--why Harry?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    it was--why Harry?

Now I may have to give the camera on my Android a spin. I just got a new camera and TC that I'm adapting too and I have another camera coming in soon. With all that on my plate I don't need to be learning about another piece of equipment. Plus smart phones always make me feel stupid.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited May 4, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Now I may have to give the camera on my Android a spin. I just got a new camera and TC that I'm adapting too and I have another camera coming in soon. With all that on my plate I don't need to be learning about another piece of equipment. Plus smart phones always make me feel stupid.

For months I have been trying to get out of my android contract (for the camera aspect alone rolleyes1.gif).

It takes nice pics but I had a hard time hitting the shutter in the middle (I needed both hands) and it was then obvious I was taking a photo (Most often).

W/ this I can click the shutter on the side w/the volume button. Also an advantage over both of my DSLRs--no shutter noise--zilch! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, specially in the subway.
    I have seen some pretty incredible street work on iphones and have been hankering to give it a go.

Glad you like it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Liz, you do the greatest black and white conversions. Love the
    contrast balance. Shouldn't the title be "Utes", though?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    What a wonderful shot... Love his tats, her kissing his arm, her leggings, the third with his back turned and 'doo... and the fourth set of legs!

BTW, I have a few shots taken yesterday with my phone (inspired by you) except I don't know how to get them from phone to computer... :(
    edited May 6, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Liz, you do the greatest black and white conversions. Love the
    contrast balance. Shouldn't the title be "Utes", though?

Tony, yes I almost titled it that very sing, except it was going to be "yutes" :).
    When I saw them, that's the only thing that came to mind "Your honor, these yutes" rolleyes1.gif

Thank you about the conversion.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 6, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    What a wonderful shot... Love his tats, her kissing his arm, her leggings, the third with his back turned and 'doo... and the fourth set of legs!

BTW, I have a few shots taken yesterday with my phone (inspired by you) except I don't know how to get them from phone to computer... :(

the cellphone makes me somewhat invisible. I am so much more confident with it and I see a whole world of possibilities opening up.

I hope you are able to download them. Email them to yourself and go from there or with a usb cable transfer them to your computer if you have a usb for it.

I am addicted now--I have gone crazy this weekend taking shots with it, I am astounded at its capabilities. My husband said to me last night "are you ever going to use your cameras again, because maybe you should sell them" ha!!! fat chance. Just another little weapon in my photography arsenal.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Really, really nice. I think a little less contrast would be good though. Personal taste.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    714267206350b336bcf2o-L.jpg

Really terrific shot, Liz - one of your best! I would, however, take the highlights down somewhat - it's so bright that some areas of it become too washed out - I think especially of the 'open' space on the left.

Your shooting - your eye - has gotten so good that I would urge you to try to go for a fuller tonal range, in order to add to, rather than detract from the images with ultra high-conrast, which can end up looking gimmicky. But that's just my opinion.

GREAT shot none the less. And the iPhone is a doozie!rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited May 7, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    Really, really nice. I think a little less contrast would be good though. Personal taste.

Thanks Seastack, I know what you are saying.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 7, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Really terrific shot, Liz - one of your best! I would, however, take the highlights down somewhat - it's so bright that some areas of it become too washed out - I think especially of the 'open' space on the left.

Your shooting - your eye - has gotten so good that I would urge you to try to go for a fuller tonal range, in order to add to, rather than detract from the images with ultra high-conrast, which can end up looking gimmicky. But that's just my opinion.

GREAT shot none the less. And the iPhone is a doozie!rolleyes1.gif

One of my best :) love it--thank you.

When I first looked at the photo after it was converted, my eyes did a happy dance and in the back of my mind I beat a little voice into unconsciousness when I heard it say "it detracts from the image".

I will make an effort to work on my tonal range.

I went nuts w/ the iphone this weekend.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 7, 2012
    I had an iPhone for two weeks- and then switched back to the Blackberry - which I think definitely is superior for Email, and that's what I really need it for. But in those two weeks I fell completely in love with the iPhone camera, and a few of the numerous Apps.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Iphone... wow. Well done Liz

Nice work
    Rags
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    For months I have been trying to get out of my android contract (for the camera aspect alone rolleyes1.gif).

Would you like me to send you a copy of faux-deployment orders, Liz? That's one military benefit they don't tell you about...
    edited May 7, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Would you like me to send you a copy of faux-deployment orders, Liz? That's one military benefit they don't tell you about...

clap.gifclapclap.gif Love it. That's the military equivalent of the scam my best friend in college - who, I should note, went on to become an Episcopal priest - ran - he had a grandmother who "died" every time he wanted to get out of an exam or term paper. I know she "died" four times that I knew of, and I'm sure there were numerous deaths I never heard about. rolleyes1.gifrofl
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Love it. That's the military equivalent of the scam my best friend in college - who, I should note, went on to become an Episcopal priest - ran - he had a grandmother who "died" every time he wanted to get out of an exam or term paper. I know she "died" four times that I knew of, and I'm sure there were numerous deaths I never heard about. rolleyes1.gifrofl

I used them to drop Sprint like they were hot. Horrible service.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    great shot and a beautiful example of how a photographer can get the shot with whatever camera she has...
    edited May 7, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Iphone... wow. Well done Liz

Nice work

Thanks RAgs--I am charging the batteries on my iphone as we speak.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 7, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    great shot and a beautiful example of how a photographer can get the shot with whatever camera she has...

Thank you Damon :)
    I have to give the little camera phone credit though, I'm floored by its capabilities and stealth like shooting abilitites.

I will likely have one more post w/ iphone shots and then will slow myself down a bit :)
    I can see myself posting 10 times a day w/ this :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Thank you Damon :)
    I have to give the little camera phone credit though, I'm floored by its capabilities and stealth like shooting abilitites.

I will likely have one more post w/ iphone shots and then will slow myself down a bit :)
    I can see myself posting 10 times a day w/ this :)
    Great shot, Liz. The iPhone is the best damned camera I've owned for a variety of reasons. If you haven't already, check out SmugMug's Camera Awesome. It's missing the volume button shutter release but is otherwise, well, awesome.
    Travis
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    We've come in a circle. Years ago I bought a Minox 35PL
    so I would have a pocket-sized inconspicuous camera.
    (Not the "spy" Minox, but one the size of cigarette package)

It still looked like a camera (front opening bellows), but I
    could palm it until I was ready to shoot.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/