Options

Store warranty for Canon 5d - worth it?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited June 18, 2012 in Cameras
I finally (FINALLY:clap) found a Canon 5D mk III kit for sale in these United States. I literally called/hounded every camera shop in New England (and several outside of our states) to no avail. Saw a mention on dpreview of all places of a store called Cardinal Camera in PA and called them immediately to find they have 1 kit and 2 bodies available (new stock). They seem great - talked to Mike at one of the stores who immediately texted the owner to put a hold on the kit for me.
Couple quick questions:
1. Anyone have experience with this store? They have 11 stores in PA and have been around since 1937 :bow - great prices that I can see.

2. They offer (and this was the softest sell ever by the way) a store warranty on the camera body. 3 years for $500. Any damage inflicted by me (sand/sea/water/drop - didn't ask about lost/theft) and they will try to fix it and, if not fixable, replace it. Also will give me loaner 5D mk III while being fixed. Also get 2 free cleanings per year (though I get those with CPS).

Cost is actually less than a rider on home owners and no issues with meeting the deductible there. Actually seems like a not bad deal but wanted your thoughts.
I do shoot near/in the ocean and harbor but have done so with my 50D and have not had any issues. Granted that was a $1000 camera and this one is $3500...

Thanks in advance
E

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Ixnay on the orstay arranty-way.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I don't think there's a bit of financial advice in the world that doesn't say "skip the warranty".
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2012
    Maybe it as the laid back off-handed ridiculously soft sell that got me to lower my guard and consider it. I've actually never bought an extended warranty in my life. The math (compared to the equivalent rider) seemed good but doubt it covers the more important theft/loss.

Any experience with Cardinal? I had never heard of them before but, like I said, they seem great.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I would say self-insure. Would a total loss be catastrophic, i.e. put you on the street and destroy your business? Then use an insurance company.

How is the warranty backed up, by the store? Buying equipment that you can walk away with and depend on the manufacturer for repair is ok. But the half-life of small camera shops I think is pretty short to depend on them for future services. Even Cardinal seems worried about their future:

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120418/OPINION02/120419522

BTW, if you do put a rider on your home policy it's quite likely won't cover your equipment if it is being used for business.
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Maybe it as the laid back off-handed ridiculously soft sell that got me to lower my guard and consider it. I've actually never bought an extended warranty in my life. The math (compared to the equivalent rider) seemed good but doubt it covers the more important theft/loss.

Any experience with Cardinal? I had never heard of them before but, like I said, they seem great.
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    If you're NOT a pro just add your 5DIII to your Insurance. W/my Ins Co. it's a separate policy, but it covers EVERYTHING, including
    loss, theft, "drowning", "death" by fire, and "suicidal" leaps from high places. Less than $12 a month for around 5K+ worth of gear
    for a "Personal Articles" Policy - Replacement Policy. Of course, when you go Pro, after you "sell" your first Print, the cost goes up. .
    Good Luck and Congrats on the 5DIII
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I don't think there's a bit of financial advice in the world that doesn't say "skip the warranty".

I agree, skip the warranty
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Is it a USA model?

I just looked at their site...it may be that they have them because when you type in 5d2 or 5d3 into their website search field, it doens't return any found items...but, if you just type in 5d, then you get the 5d2 and 5d3 page...hmmm...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    FWIW, B&H and others offer extended warranties, in the case of the 5D3, a 3 yr warranty is $342.99 from a place called SageMax.

But forget the warranty: there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever consider handing over $3000+ to a company I don't know!!!

With all due respect: ARE YOU NUTS?!

Take a deep breath, a wait a bit. If you gotta have one now, try renting one for a week, take the edge off :)
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Camera is bought. New batch (he read me the serial). USA warranty. Did not get the extended.

I did research the company and paid by Amex so can fight charge if need be but this strikes me as a very respectable shop. not sure why it would be any different buying from them vs my local chain (Hunts) or Tallyn's wherei Watson a wait list but they did not have stock

When I decided to buy the camera, I just 'needed' the immediate satisfaction of obtaining it. I passed on other places that stated it was in stock but, after researching them, found they were bait and switch stores. Figured that every day that goes by is another day when I could have been enjoying the camera. I really could have used it last night when shooting a carnival in the fog...

I'll be sure to post back when I get it on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    I also decided long ago that the economics of renting made no sense. One week rental of an L lens is about $100 which is the same as the depreciation value of that lens if sold in 1-2 weeks in like-new condition. Same would go for the body and, at the end of the week, I would just be jonesing for the camera that much more.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Did they charge you PA sales tax? How about shipping... how is it coming UPS next, 2nd. Inquiring minds want to know:D
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Camera is bought. New batch (he read me the serial). USA warranty. Did not get the extended.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    No tax
    I called them Friday night and finished transaction Saturday. Too late to go out that day so heading out Monday. I'll post info when I get it.
    They had two bodies when I talked to mike on Friday night.
    Said they had a strong relationship with Canon that got them the shipments. Also seems they don't have a very strong Internet/forum presence so don't have ab100+ person wait list.
    I did find positive reviews about them on dpreview going back to '08
  • Options
    RegretelaRegretela Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2012
    Long-time Customer of Cardinal Camera
    I have been a customer of Cardinal Camera since the early '90s, and have bought Canons, Nikons, and Sonys from them. They always honor their warranties with no problems. I just bought a new camera from them last week, a Sony a57. I bought the extended warranty because I do tend bang things around and occasionally drop them. They have their own shop, and I have met the people who work there when bringing my gear in for repairs. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a desktop computer, because it usually breaks before the manufacturer's warranty runs out, nor would I buy one on most electronics or appliances (even though they are made pretty crappily these days, it seems). But my cameras are dear to me, and I want the service available when I need it. Cardinal's extended warranty is better than Sagemax's, though I do have that one on the lenses I get from B&H, plus I don't have to send the camera away and worry about it being damaged in shipping. I just bring it to one of the stores - usually Lansdale, Pa., and it's finished very quickly.
    I recommend them, and will continue being a customer for the foreseeable future.