Options

Continuing The Ferrari GTO Saga.....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 11, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
These are two unusual GTOs. In fact one of them is not really a GTO....technically speaking.

The first one here, # 12, is a 1963 GTO fitted with a Pininfarina-designed 330 LM body. The front section of the car is pretty much a stock GTO, the rest of the car has little design differences that set it apart from the standard GTO. The casual observer would probably not notice these differences. In reality, since all GTOs are custom made cars, no two are identical....there are subtle differences among all of them.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-216-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-1-2012-221-X2.jpg

This next car, # 26, is not really a GTO. It is correctly identified as a 1962 330 LMB. There were only 4 of these cars made. They were made in the same shop as were the GTOs but were really different....mostly in their mechanical appointments. To look at them, though, you can see that they were " kissin' cousins " for sure. Some folks even call these 4 cars a 330 GTO, most Ferrari fans don't.

These 330 LMBs had a little longer chassis than the GTO ( designed for the tougher, long distance races ), had a bigger engine ( 3967 cc ) putting out about 400 HP, and were lightened in weight.

Amelia-Show-1-2012-224-X2.jpg

There's an interesting feature evident on both of these cars. Note that device above the rear wheels that looks like it might be an air duct for cooling purposes. It's actually a slight body extension that allows for a little greater suspension movement. Note also that one of these cars has the 3 front nose intake plates in place and the other does not. They were used, or not used, depending on cooling requirements.
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Nice looking cars ... love the color too :D
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Interesting. You're teaching us about Ferraris

Maybe the fins were needed for the larger engine tune. My Jag of the era ran hot

Nice shots
    Rags
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »

Thought so!!mwink.gifD

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Thought so!!mwink.gifD

Neil

Yeppers :D
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2012
    They look a lot of fun Tom!thumb.gif

Neil

• Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »

Now why am I not surprised that you like the color, Mary? It wouldn't do for you to get around a bunch of these Ferraris....talk about sensory overload.:D

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Interesting. You're teaching us about Ferraris

Maybe the fins were needed for the larger engine tune. My Jag of the era ran hot

Nice shots

Hi Rags,

I'm glad you have enjoyed following the GTO story. Thanks for your support.

Everybody I knew that had those older Jags had experiences with them running hot. In fact, many of the British cars back then seemed to have that issue.

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    They look a lot of fun Tom!thumb.gif

Neil

I think the term " fun " pretty well sums up the experience of owning and driving any pre-modern-era Ferrari. I know I sure enjoyed the one I owned...a 1977 308 GTB. These cars could, however, extract a pound of flesh in return for all the excitement they provided; they were rough riding, difficult to get in and out of, and horrendously expensive to maintain. If I remember correctly, the 24,000 mile service on my 308 GTB was around $2,000 bucks....a small fortune back then.

I wish I could have trained that 308 to go out into the night and come home by itself. I guarantee you that at least 50 ladies would have been following it. Obviously, I was single when I owned it.

Tom
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Hi Rags,

Everybody I knew that had those older Jags had experiences with them running hot. In fact, many of the British cars back then seemed to have that issue.

Tom

That or not run at all, I won't go into the electrics.... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    That or not run at all, I won't go into the electrics.... :D

You mean the infamous Lucas electrics....often called the " Prince of Darkness "?

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    I wish I could have trained that 308 to go out into the night and come home by itself. I guarantee you that at least 50 ladies would have been following it. Obviously, I was single when I owned it.

Tom

I think you certainly would have eclipsed the competition!!mwink.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Neil

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I think the term " fun " pretty well sums up the experience of owning and driving any pre-modern-era Ferrari. I know I sure enjoyed the one I owned...a 1977 308 GTB. These cars could, however, extract a pound of flesh in return for all the excitement they provided; they were rough riding, difficult to get in and out of, and horrendously expensive to maintain. If I remember correctly, the 24,000 mile service on my 308 GTB was around $2,000 bucks....a small fortune back then.

Tom

I just don't understand! Tom. I love the pics and the consistency of your processing and the history of these cars,but generally, women live longer than, men and the only people who outlive women are well off bachelors.rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    I just don't understand! Tom. I love the pics and the consistency of your processing and the history of these cars,but generally, women live longer than, men and the only people who outlive women are well off bachelors.rolleyes1.gifrofl

I'm not sure exactly what your message is. I ran loose for 14 years between marriages....figured I might as well keep going it alone; life was good and no shortage of companions. :D Then Darlene jumped up and snared me. I'll admit to being a cradle robber the second time around....hell, a man's got to have somebody to drive him around when the wheels fall off.

Tom
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I'm not sure exactly what your message is. I ran loose for 14 years between marriages....figured I might as well keep going it alone; life was good and no shortage of companions. :D Then Darlene jumped up and snared me. I'll admit to being a cradle robber the second time around....hell, a man's got to have somebody to drive him around when the wheels fall off.

Tom

No message, anyway on a different note, I was wondering if you ever use a flash , when photographing in this type of environment ?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    No message, anyway on a different note, I was wondering if you ever use a flash , when photographing in this type of environment ?

I never have used a flash at an outdoor show. The few times it may have been necessary, I was already holed up somewhere waiting on the bad weather to blow over. I seldom go above 200 ISO, but I do use fast lenses. If the lighting is fairly consistent and uniform, I'll use a handheld light meter to determine the proper setting....all the white cars, black cars, and reflections darting around can screw up the best of metering systems.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Will all your support Tom, its likely your wheels will never fail ya :D I suspect your keeping your drive and suspension tuned well.

Interesting about the fins and their job. Prince of Darkness interesting yet again. Knew the Lucas name as it was in my ride here and there, wasn't aware of the dark part. Had to go to further reading bout that as I am usually pressed to do when digging into your pics and background notes shared. Which I am quite happy to do as I learn a hell of a lot each time. Grateful for that. Also cool you gave up your thoughts concerning how your particular car mentioned drove for you. Am sure you got value out of the cost of maintenance :D
    Michael
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Great Photos and Great Subjects to shoot :D

Nothing to do with the photos..... It's the year of the un-restored car
    So, any plans on coming to Auburn this year?