Options

Can you help?? 20D and Quanteray Lens

Ak-47Ak-47 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited November 8, 2005 in Cameras
So I've been shooting with the Canon D20 and a 70-300 f4-5.6 Quantaray lens for the past 5 months (i know i took a chance going with an off brand, but i figured it was worth the small investment to play with it first) with little to no problems. Yes, it is a little slow at times, but in decent light - I get what I am looking for. At least until I can afford the F2.8 lens.

Over the weekend, while shooting a soccer and football game.. I kept getting Err 99. I would shoot a couple, and then get the Err. I turned it off, took out the battery... did all power off stuff and same problem!

Does anyone know why this is happening or know of a remedy? :dunno

Anything would be nice...
THANKS!
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of expression, interpretation and execution. - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    Ak-47 wrote:
    So I've been shooting with the Canon D20 and a 70-300 f4-5.6 Quantaray lens for the past 5 months (i know i took a chance going with an off brand, but i figured it was worth the small investment to play with it first) with little to no problems. Yes, it is a little slow at times, but in decent light - I get what I am looking for. At least until I can afford the F2.8 lens.

Over the weekend, while shooting a soccer and football game.. I kept getting Err 99. I would shoot a couple, and then get the Err. I turned it off, took out the battery... did all power off stuff and same problem!

Does anyone know why this is happening or know of a remedy? ne_nau.gif

Anything would be nice...
    THANKS!

I can only suggest cleaning your contacts on the lens very well, a little alcohol on a swab, not much.

Other than that, it's probably a compatibility issue - you could call Canon...

Moving to "cameras" forum.
  • Options
    Ak-47Ak-47 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I can only suggest cleaning your contacts on the lens very well, a little alcohol on a swab, not much.

Other than that, it's probably a compatibility issue - you could call Canon...

Moving to "cameras" forum.

Thanks... sorry for the mis-posting!!
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of expression, interpretation and execution. - Ansel Adams

• Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I've been using the same lens with my 300D without any problems. Does it happen at a specific aperture and focal length? If it happens at different f/#'s and zooms then it's probably dirty contacts. If only at a particular setting then it's probably a compatibility issue. Could be your autofocus setting also.

Erich
  • Options
    risourcerisource Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    even clean
    Even with clean gear I had some issues on my 10D that I isolated to the lens mount. Every once in a while (usually at the worst possible action moment) I would chnage lenses and get that Err99. Eventualy I figured it out and paid more attention to the way I mounted the lens.... very carefully, slowly and to a solid latching in. The issue went away.

I only use Canon glass, btw.