Questions

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited May 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
For number one - no question. Like it or don't.:rofl

For two and three - color or black and white?

For number four - Is this something? What I mean by that question, which is one we should ask every time we look at one of our images yet fail to ask with alarming frequency, is whether there is something here worth having, or whether it's just an 'eh' image of a couple walking.

050512PUPS0004-X2.jpg

050512PUPS0001-X2.jpg

050512PUPS0002-X2.jpg

050512PUPS0003-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    #1 Like - and my disdain for puppy dog pics is well known despite that I go with like

#2 B&W

#3 First reaction was eh but when I clicked the full size option I went with oh, yeah. Something about the way their arms are locked that clicks for me.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    #3 over #2. The color helps distinguish the subject (flag). The mosaic of the b&w diminishes the value of the subject

#4 I like the composition best. The subject is a yawn but the tree limb and the colors of the tree leaves almost look like a IR converted cam and the subject is well placed

Nice job bd (you gotta work with what's there)

(did I pass? mwink.gif)
    Rags
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    # 1- thumb.gif

#2 - B & W

#3 - :nah
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    #1 - Like it a lot, although I can't help but feel it would have been better as a horizontal. Of course I wasn't there so it may not have worked. As it is, it's just a little too tight. The dogs nose at right should have a little more separation from the edge of the frame. Still, a keeper. I'm guessing you're an Erwitt fan, as am I.

#2 - Black and white. Nice. If it were mine, I'd crop it slightly to put the flag dead center and lose the pavement in the corner.

#3 - Eh, it's okay but an oft seen frame and without an otherwise remarkable feature, like a dog peeing on a tree in the foreground (bad example?), not a keeper (unless as a family or friend momento if you know them). Also the lack of separation between the woman's arm and the lightpole kinda bugs me. If you had taken a half step to the right to deal with that, then the nice converging fenceline and greater sense of depth would have disappeared. The tree limb at the top is very nice though.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 5, 2012
    Answers:

1) Yes. Best of the set IMO. Nit: It would have been better to have the full face of the dog in the mirror.

2) None of the above. Sorry.

3) Eh. Nice comp but not a wall hanger.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    #1 You always seem to shoot down on dogs. The scene has interesting
    possibilities for the ground level shooter with a dog, or the dogs, reflected
    in the mirror...especially if the cracks in the mirror distort the dogs.

As is, it doesn't do much for me.

#2 - Far too much unrelated stuff in the scene.

#3 - Give me a choice of that shot, one closer, one further away, and I'll pick which.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the feed back. I lean toward black and white on the flag shot - and to respond to Tony, the flag and the 'stuff' is precisely what the image is supposed to be about (doesn't make it good ;-), but that's the story. As to the dogs - I wanted them looking around, so that I got the reflections I did, to give the idea of them looking behind the mirror for themselves - and Tony - getting down to dog level wasn't a realistic option as a., I was holding the leashes, and if I'd started crawling around they'd instantly have moved, probably on top of me, and b., if I'd started to move, I'd have lost the thing entirely, oh, and c, I'd most likely then have been in the reflection, which would have sucked.

Finally, the couple. Closer would have been nothing. Farther away? Perhaps, but then the shot would have been more about the environment than the couple. Seastack may have nailed it in my moving slight to the right - not necessarily because of the light post, but because I think this would have benefited from having some tree trunk rising up to meet the limb, and framing the image on the right. But the bottom line is that there is something about the couple that spoke to me - perhaps the linked arms, which Harry noticed, or perhaps...who knows. But that something that appealed to me may not be there in the image.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed