Options

Supermoon

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited May 6, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Well, a few hours out - but I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I'm really thinking that I need a telescope! :) Thanks for looking.

1/640s @ f11, ISO 100, 500mm on a D7000
i-5ZzcWdD-XL.jpg

Since I'm in Australia, I had to drop the Southern Cross in!

i-TP5L4B8-XL.jpg
John

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Love the second.

My nine year old has been following the news of the "supermoon" closely. Today he googled articles and videos on the subject. After dark he asked if he could stay up until midnight to see the "supermoon." I told him the moon was already out. He rushed outside to see this gigantic moon in the sky, looked up, and said "that's it!? It looks exactly the same. When does it get bigger?" He was so disappointed when I explained. I felt really bad for him. He thought the moon was going to fill the sky. He wanted answers from the news organizations explaining why the moon didn't live up to their hype. I'm going to show him your pictures in the morning. Thank you for posting.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    I hope he likes them! :)
    John
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,757 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Great thumb.gif

Not possible to take pictures of the supermoon: clouds and rain all night :cry
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 6, 2012
    Nice shots. I was all set up and ready last night, but we had rain and overcast. Oh well. I don't have a long enough lens to get much detail, but I might give it another try tonight.
  • Options
    DeputydawgDeputydawg Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Great shots!! .. I was disappointed in my attempts.. we had high thin layers of clouds with thicker lower pockets that were moving pretty quick. lost all the detail in the shot.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    Love the second.

My nine year old has been following the news of the "supermoon" closely. Today he googled articles and videos on the subject. After dark he asked if he could stay up until midnight to see the "supermoon." I told him the moon was already out. He rushed outside to see this gigantic moon in the sky, looked up, and said "that's it!? It looks exactly the same. When does it get bigger?" He was so disappointed when I explained. I felt really bad for him. He thought the moon was going to fill the sky. He wanted answers from the news organizations explaining why the moon didn't live up to their hype. I'm going to show him your pictures in the morning. Thank you for posting.

Show him the Peter Lik shot of a large moon (with tree)

I was in the Marin Headlands outside SF, Cal. It was a mob scene, meetup.com attracted an extra 100+ people at my site.

Nice moon shots, looks like clear skies (we had fog)
    Rags