Options

GIMP can now do 16 bit

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
edited May 6, 2012 in Finishing School
From this page:

http://www.gimp.org/

"HIGH BIT DEPTH PROCESSING AVAILABLE NOW2012-05-04

Today at Libre Graphics Meeting 2012 in Vienna we announced that the development version of GIMP is now capable of processing images in 16bit and 32bit modes, integer or float at your preference.

Transformation, painting and color adjustment tools will just work in higher bit depth precision modes. More than that, GIMP can load and save 16bit PNG images and save EXR and HDR files now. ..."

---

Ziggy note: Up until now, the GIMP was only capable of 8 bit operations. While 16 and 32 bit won't mean too much right away, eventually it can mean smoother gradients and skin tones, and it can launch the GIMP into a more capable image processing environment.

Executables/binaries are not yet officially available.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    From this page:

http://www.gimp.org/

"HIGH BIT DEPTH PROCESSING AVAILABLE NOW2012-05-04

Today at Libre Graphics Meeting 2012 in Vienna we announced that the development version of GIMP is now capable of processing images in 16bit and 32bit modes, integer or float at your preference.

Transformation, painting and color adjustment tools will just work in higher bit depth precision modes. More than that, GIMP can load and save 16bit PNG images and save EXR and HDR files now. ..."

---

Ziggy note: Up until now, the GIMP was only capable of 8 bit operations. While 16 and 32 bit won't mean too much right away, eventually it can mean smoother gradients and skin tones, and it can launch the GIMP into a more capable image processing environment.

Executables/binaries are not yet officially available.

Huge Change! Thanks for the heads up!
    tom wise
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited May 6, 2012
    From this page:

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00422-16-bit-goat-invasion-ready

... it appears that versions starting with ver 2.10 will be 16/32 bit, which I believe is only available in source code and is early beta at this point. Ver 2.10 should also have hardware acceleration using multiple core processors (CPUs) and OpenCL capable video processors (GPUs).

When I see a stable release, hopefully a release candidate, then I'll report back here (or someone can beat me to it. thumb.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited May 6, 2012
    That's good news indeed. Apparently they are finally offering an alternative to the multiple floating windows UI as well. Now if only they would change the name...lol3.gif.