Options

Why is PS converting a high res photo to 72 dpi?

all5duggansall5duggans Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited May 6, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I feel fairly confident in my Photoshop editing abilities, but I have come across a new problem and am having a hell of a time finding a solution.

I had previously been using PS 3, and this never occurred, but with 5.5 it keeps happening.

I am putting together a series of announcement cards for births, graduations, etc., but for some reason, when I pull an image into the card, a previously set 300 dpi image auto-converts to 72 dpi.

Now, I hadn't previously even thought to check what the program was doing because, as I said, with version 3, I never had an issue. But now, my printer has called me 3 separate occasions stating that the images are extremely pixelated, and the quality of the card is going to be crap.

So when I re-checked each file, and I click on the image, it gives me information that it is sized to 72 dpi. But when I start the image from scratch, I set it to a res of 300 dpi.

What the flock am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide. I am assuming this is where it goes. If it belongs somewhere else, please move. I did a search and couldn't find a topic already started on this.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Please explain exactly what you do to the image.
    By any chance you use a Crop tool with a target size set?
    Or image resize with a destination res set to 72dpi?
    rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    If the document you created for the announcement we set to 72dpi on accident, then any image you bring into it will reset to the 72dpi of the document, regardless of what the image was set to.

Double check your the image size (Image menu --> Image Size) of the announcement card document and ensure that it is set at 300dpi.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    I do nothing to the image itself; I simply drag it into the layout in a new layer. When I open it in PS5, the properties tell me it is 300 dpi, but when I check the layer dpi, it says 72. So I am assuming there is some sort of filter or conversion going on when I drag it in that submits it to 72, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing this or how to change it.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    I do nothing to the image itself; I simply drag it into the layout in a new layer. When I open it in PS5, the properties tell me it is 300 dpi, but when I check the layer dpi, it says 72. So I am assuming there is some sort of filter or conversion going on when I drag it in that submits it to 72, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing this or how to change it.

Layers assume the dpi of the hosting environment. So it looks like your layout is 72...
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Layers assume the dpi of the hosting environment. So it looks like your layout is 72...

When I set my original layout, it is set to 300 dpi.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    ps5 screen shot.jpg

Here is what my original file start point is, am I doing it wrong?
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012

Technically, I guess it is not set to 300 dpi, it is set to 300 ppi, and I do know there is a difference. So how do I go about changing the DPI setting?
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Technically, I guess it is not set to 300 dpi, it is set to 300 ppi, and I do know there is a difference. So how do I go about changing the DPI setting?

"Image | Image Size..." and Crop tools are the only places in PS I know where you can change the resolution..
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    "Image | Image Size..." and Crop tools are the only places in PS I know where you can change the resolution..

But why is it doing this to my image in the first place is what I need to know. Because it is doing it when I pull the image into the layout. It was previously a 300 DPI image, and it is converting it to a 72. But when I go to image size in the layout and change it to 300, it remains distorted.

I just can't figure out why it's doing this in the first place.

Is it the type of format I am using to create the card? I do it in a custom size, and it let's me set the size, so I don't think that is it. I am frustrated beyond reason over this and can't find anything on the PS Adobe help pages, either.

I don't want to change the original resolution; the original is just as it should be. I need to understand why it is auto-converting, and I have checked everything I can think of........:help
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    But why is it doing this to my image in the first place is what I need to know. Because it is doing it when I pull the image into the layout. It was previously a 300 DPI image, and it is converting it to a 72. But when I go to image size in the layout and change it to 300, it remains distorted.

I just can't figure out why it's doing this in the first place.

Is it the type of format I am using to create the card? I do it in a custom size, and it let's me set the size, so I don't think that is it. I am frustrated beyond reason over this and can't find anything on the PS Adobe help pages, either.

I don't want to change the original resolution; the original is just as it should be. I need to understand why it is auto-converting, and I have checked everything I can think of........:help

I need to get a hold of your image and your layout to be able I'll tell you... Otherwise you're proving only a generic info and asking very specific technical question...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    I need to get a hold of your image and your layout to be able I'll tell you... Otherwise you're proving only a generic info and asking very specific technical question...ne_nau.gif

So what exactly is it you want me to send to you? I would have to think there is a technical tweek that is somehow enabled that is taking my images as they are brought in to the new layer and converting it to 72 dpi. I can send you the original card in a PSD for so you can see it, but that still doesn't change the fact that I need to change something from within my PS5 that is taking over on conversion..........
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    So what exactly is it you want me to send to you? I would have to think there is a technical tweek that is somehow enabled that is taking my images as they are brought in to the new layer and converting it to 72 dpi. I can send you the original card in a PSD for so you can see it, but that still doesn't change the fact that I need to change something from within my PS5 that is taking over on conversion..........

Get a dropbox or some other filesharing tool and put there a copy of the PSD (before you place a supposedly 300-dpi image into it) and the image itself. If you don't have a dropbox, pm me your email and I'll send you an invite.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Get a dropbox or some other filesharing tool and put there a copy of the PSD (before you place a supposedly 300-dpi image into it) and the image itself. If you don't have a dropbox, pm me your email and I'll send you an invite.

I went to the Adobe site and posed the same question. What I was told was that it will auto-convert images if you don't open a project as a certain 'type'. Apparently 'custom' projects are not friendly with large jpeg images. So, I tried it as a photo project with custom measurements, and sure enough, it works.

Well, I only spent about 6 hours pulling my hair out for a relatively easy fix. :-/ Not sure how I feel about that lol.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate the attempt to help.