Options

Tricolored Herons, White Ibis, and one Sleeper

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited May 18, 2012 in Wildlife
Here are the last of my spring bird photos from "Bird City," the rookery in Avery Island's Jungle Gardens. I have to say, the Roseate Spoonbills were the most fun, but these other birds weren't chopped liver either. And I really gave short shrift to the hundreds of Egrets always in residence this time of year. All C&C welcome and appreciated! Best, Pam

1. Tricolored Heron Portrait

2012-L.jpg

2. And another . . .

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

2012-L.jpg

6. White Ibis

2012-0425WhiteIbisAveryIsland-L.jpg

7. And another

2012-0423WhiteIbisAveryIsland-L.jpg

7. And one sleeper (everyone has to sleep somewhere) . . .

2012-0416RaccoonAveryIsland-1B-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Nice series Pam. I like the sleeper.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Good set of images Pam, and I'm in for the sleeper as will kind of made me chuckle.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Excellent series with some real good learning points. With the tri-color portraits I like #1 because of the head angle, the back feathers sticking out, and the smoother BG. I prefer 3 over 4 because of the harsh light in #4. #3 pops out at the viewer. With the ibis captures you have that harsh light in #7 and it shows as the feather detail in #6 is so much better and the BG is more appealing.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    #1 #5 #6 stand out but then again it is very hard to get a bird to sit ne_nau.gif like in #7 rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Nice series Pam. I like the sleeper.
    Good set of images Pam, and I'm in for the sleeper as will kind of made me chuckle.

Thanks Dick and Dennis. We were looking for an owl who was supposed to be in that tree, and naturally what we found was a snoozing young raccoon. :D Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Excellent series with some real good learning points. With the tri-color portraits I like #1 because of the head angle, the back feathers sticking out, and the smoother BG. I prefer 3 over 4 because of the harsh light in #4. #3 pops out at the viewer. With the ibis captures you have that harsh light in #7 and it shows as the feather detail in #6 is so much better and the BG is more appealing.

Thanks, Harry. I felt exactly the same about the photos comparatively. #3 was interesting to me because it was very flat directly out of the camera. I really like the NIK software you told me about for making subjects pop, as you said. The White Ibis birds are interesting. I know they are so common in your area that you photograph them only slightly more often than squirrels, but in our neck of the woods they are relative newcomers.

Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    #1 #5 #6 stand out but then again it is very hard to get a bird to sit ne_nau.gif like in #7 rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Jeff . . . and no kidding! Best, Pam
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    great set of images Pam, #1&2 are beauties and the raccoon pegged the cute factor!
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Brian_S wrote: »
    great set of images Pam, #1&2 are beauties and the raccoon pegged the cute factor!

Thanks, Brian! Best, Pam