Options

I'm starting to love these old time car shows.

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited May 8, 2012 in People
Some mild off camera flash and Topaz is a great thing.

1. i-m9nNrmP-L.jpg

2. i-F5dgvb2-L.jpg

3. i-9rm3g78-L.jpg

4. i-d9njj9L-L.jpg

5. i-TNQQgWL-L.jpg

6. i-S3HdBQk-L.jpg

7. i-QRdjfKg-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    The cars looks great. Although I think Topaz didn't do much for the models. Their skin looks pretty freaky, especially #3 and #6.

#6 wants to be my favorite, mainly because of the attitude that your model is showing. However with the skin tone and some of the background distractions, its just not quite there (for me).

#2, I'm left wanting to see less of the owner, more of the car. With some of the background distractions, I would be curious to see a front on view of the the grill, and see if some of the background can be eliminated.

Glad your having fun. Some of those cars are pretty amazing.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    After the first row the cars were really packed in, about a hundred cars. The first row was the only row I could get somewhat of a clean shot. They tend to pack all their chairs, tables añd whatever bring behind the cars.

As far as skin tones it's a personal thing I have with Topaz. Most folks have only seen "purddy picktures" of their cars. I want to do work they haven't seen. Time will tell.

Yeah, I need to work more on my comp. There was another photographer there and I wasn't sure if I'd get bounced. Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    The processing isn't my thing (i had to look up topaz) but I agree with what Helvegr said. The attitude/personality of that girl and her TC are a pretty awesome capture. :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    What action are you using in Topaz? I've found myself using Topaz Adjust more and more.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    I use topaz adjust alot. I like spicify for HDR looking work. It needs to be removed from skin but it really makes the car paint pop. I'm not a big fan of LightRoom yet as I've grown up with Capture One and know it pretty well. In lightroom if you push the clarity slider it helps the HDR effect when you add Topaz. When I'm not in a rush I do a better job and wipe the skin to about 40% but I did about 40 of these in a rush to get them up for the guys to see. I was not as careful as I normally am if I have the time. I also like topaz black and white effects and topaz remask. They make ones work alot easier when you've got to do a bunch.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    Just to see the difference from raw to jpeg with topaz. They "ain't" that purddy to start. As you can see when you try to work fast you can miss the exposure that's why shooting raw is a blessing.

1. i-MhpHVJ6-L.jpg

2. i-zpCwx64-XL.jpg

3. i-3k92XCD-L.jpg

4. i-sGNPMgj-L.jpg

5. i-gbx8wQ9-L.jpg

6. i-BWd7fqn-L.jpg

7. i-sHB9jmG-L.jpg
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Charles is there a simple way to back off the opacity on the people's faces and skin only such as U Point in CNX2? I really like what it does to the overall image and the originals seem dull in comparison.
    I use a similar effect in Color Efex Pro via CNX2 and it's fairly simple to back off the skin tones only so that they look a little more natural, perhaps about 50 percent opacity or so?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    It can be done with layers and or history brush. Topaz does not have the control pts that Nik does, wish they did. Like I said, I was in a hurry to get a bunch done quickly and should have taken more time. I do like the effect on skin unless the subject has a ruddy complexion then it looks pretty bad.
  • Options
    Pono PhotoPono Photo Registered Users Posts: 68 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2012
    Are you using lightroom or Photoshop? I don't know much about lightroom, but I do similar things in Photoshop. I just clean up the skin and what-not with layer masks. Loving those cars too bro! Great stuff! I wish there were car shows like that out here on Kauai...
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    These started in Lightroom with the last adjustment being to bump up the clarity slider to start some HDR. I've just gotten a trial vs of it and am playing.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    I did these on my laptop and now that I'm looking at them on my desk top I agree with you all about the skin tones. The laptop didn't look that bad!!