Options

Tethering New Firewire 800 and Original

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited May 13, 2012 in Cameras
Hello All.
The on going saga of switching to Mac after decades of Windows has been an eye opener but I am not going back.

I until recently shot tethered from Windows laptop LR3.6 to my Canon Mark IIs using the original firewire cable , I think it is a 4 pin?

My new Mac Book Pro arrives sometime this week and it comes with fire 800 9-pin connector.

My camera only tethers with firewire so I was wondering if anyone knows if i used a 4-pin to 9-pin connector/cable, if I will still be able to shoot tethered but at FW-400 speeds?

Anyone have this same setup?

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    :lurk
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    Hello All.
    The on going saga of switching to Mac after decades of Windows has been an eye opener but I am not going back.

I until recently shot tethered from Windows laptop LR3.6 to my Canon Mark IIs using the original firewire cable , I think it is a 4 pin?

My new Mac Book Pro arrives sometime this week and it comes with fire 800 9-pin connector.

My camera only tethers with firewire so I was wondering if anyone knows if i used a 4-pin to 9-pin connector/cable, if I will still be able to shoot tethered but at FW-400 speeds?

Anyone have this same setup?

I sure think so. Video cameras input via FW like that. Please post your results!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited May 6, 2012
    Drivers and software compatibility are the potential sources of problems. It looks like Aperture 2 may work with OS X 10.5 Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1085

For Canon software, just match up the OS and software updates:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

For the cable, it looks like this should work:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=610&sku=50708#ReviewHeader
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I sure think so. Video cameras input via FW like that. Please post your results!

FW800 is indeed backward compatible with FW400. Even in a daisy-chain.. although I'd always put FW400 last in a chain.. so the 800 stuff isn't slowed down by it.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy! The LION 10.7.3 improbably what it ships with.

So I figured out that this will indeed allow me to tether my Canon MArkIIs with my MBP.

The only other issue I have now is what different Manuf call there firewire product.

The monkey wrench in the works is when then say it is a DV firewire cable as oppose to a regular firewire. Is there any difference before I order this...thank in advance to EVERYONE.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...Pearstone_FW_9415_FireWire_9_Pin_to_4_Pin.html
    this one if 15ft

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...n_F3N403_06_APL_FireWire_400_800_9_pin_to.html
    this one is about 6ft.

ziggy53 wrote: »
    Drivers and software compatibility are the potential sources of problems. It looks like Aperture 2 may work with OS X 10.5 Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1085

For Canon software, just match up the OS and software updates:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

For the cable, it looks like this should work:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=610&sku=50708#ReviewHeader
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2012
    SORRY I MUST HAVE BEEN LOGGED INTO b&h THRU my NAPP membership:

This standard, black FireWire 9-Pin to 4-Pin Cable from Pearstone provides a link between newer devices that feature the 9-pin FireWire 800 connection and older 4-pin FireWire devices. Top transfer speed is limited by the 4-pin FireWire 400Mb/s rate.

FireWire provides high speed digital transmission of data, video and audio between computers and consumer devices such as scanners, printers, DV camcorders, external hard drives and more.

15' (4.5 m) cable length
    Meets or Exceeds all 1394a Standards
    Made of pure oxygen-free copper
    100% shielded coverage

THE OTHER IS

Belkin's FireWire 400/800 9-pin to 4-pin DV Cable is perfect for FireWire enthusiasts looking to obtain higher transfer speeds. This FireWire provides quick, Plug-and-Play data transfer from devices such as digital camcorders to your laptop or another audio video device.

With features such as real-time digital audio and video transfer and the Belkin Lifetime Warranty, this cable is the obvious choice for any user. The cable allows simultaneous connection of up to 63 devices and transmits data at speeds of up to 400Mbps.

Compatibility
    The new FireWire IEEE 1394b specification is backward-compatible with existing FireWire technology, which makes it ideal for those already using FireWire technology.
    Flexibility
    Connect up to 63 devices simultaneously with this Belkin FireWire cable.
    Connectivity
    The cable installs with Plug-and-Play ease from any 9-pin to 4-pin port.
    Speed
    This FireWire cable transmits data at speeds of up to 800Mbps.
    Compliance
    This cable complies with IEEE 1394b standards for reducing radio frequency and electromagnetic interference.

Thanks Ziggy! The LION 10.7.3 improbably what it ships with.

So I figured out that this will indeed allow me to tether my Canon MArkIIs with my MBP.

The only other issue I have now is what different Manuf call there firewire product.

The monkey wrench in the works is when then say it is a DV firewire cable as oppose to a regular firewire. Is there any difference before I order this...thank in advance to EVERYONE.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...Pearstone_FW_9415_FireWire_9_Pin_to_4_Pin.html
    this one if 15ft

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...n_F3N403_06_APL_FireWire_400_800_9_pin_to.html
    this one is about 6ft.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    http://www.pearstone.com/detail?sku=688798
    >
    > this one if 15ft
    >
    I finally got all the hardware together and the above cable and fired everything up.

Lightroom detected the camera no problem but would not transfer images nor would it display any camera settings. So I could not shoot tethered.

I shoot tethered with no problem on my windows laptop but the difference here of course is the MBP and the cable is FW-800 9 pin to plug in to the new MBP to a 4-pin that plugs in to the camera.

NO JOY...

I suspect the cable may be too long to transmit a signal to and from the camera?

ANY THOUGHTS?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Can you try via USB?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Can you try via USB?
    I could but I know the Canon Mark IIs does not support USB and ONLY firewire 400 4-pin from the day.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    I could but I know the Canon Mark IIs does not support USB and ONLY firewire 400 4-pin from the day.

Thanks

Huh. My 5D tethers USB, and I know that works to my Macs. I can't test FW, as the 5D doesn't have it!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Adobe's support documents only mention USB tethering, as far as I can see.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Huh. My 5D tethers USB, and I know that works to my Macs. I can't test FW, as the 5D doesn't have it!

Thanks Dave. Thats how my particuar camera rolls.:
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Adobe's support documents only mention USB tethering, as far as I can see.

Hey thanks for your input, but my camera model only supports firewire OK. Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Hi Ziggy...The last link had anything I could process and that being item #7 where they want me to delete a certain hidden file or folder in Mac OSx.

I will have to try and do that...

The first link spelled it out that my model camera is firewire only unless somehow LR4 allows me to use USB and that would be groovy but I do not think that has transpired...

I have used LR3.6 in the studio tethered with no problem..it is just using LR on a mac with new firewire gig..

so many variables hope i can work this to soon.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2012
    Hello EVERYONE. I am ecstatic and happy to announce that your concerted efforts have solved this critical problem I had. The solution was indeed resolved by #7 and after i deleted the hidden lightroom preference folder in my library the tethering worked as it always had in windows....WINDOWS good riddance!

Thanks to everyone and this forum who time and time again saves everyone countless dollars and hours of grief with knowledgable information.....

I cannot thank you ALL enough.

Vincent

Hi Ziggy...The last link had anything I could process and that being item #7 where they want me to delete a certain hidden file or folder in Mac OSx.

I will have to try and do that...

The first link spelled it out that my model camera is firewire only unless somehow LR4 allows me to use USB and that would be groovy but I do not think that has transpired...

I have used LR3.6 in the studio tethered with no problem..it is just using LR on a mac with new firewire gig..

so many variables hope i can work this to soon.