bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    thoth wrote: »
    Beautiful.

Definitely. And real. Not oversaturated or too much contrast, no cheesy smile, and love the dead center eyes in the frame. Subtle, nice. BTW, I love the new portra 400.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Nice....

the negative space works well

good job
    Rags
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I really like it. No post was done. I just scanned the negative.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Your film portraits are outstanding.
    Love the muted colors in this and his expression.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    Your film portraits are outstanding.
    Love the muted colors in this and his expression.

Thanks Liz! I had this film stored way back in my freezer for the past year. I wanted to try it again before I chucked it because I hated it the last time I used it. Now I am scouring the internet to see who still has it in stock! I love the colors! Maybe it just needed to chill for a while...
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    It's a great shot, Damon. It's sort of the dreams of childhood personified. What do you suppose is going on in that imagination behind those eyes?
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    There's a border between solemn and smiling in his face that makes this a very interesting portrait. I'm slightly distracted by the in-focus leaf/flower to the bottom right corner, but that's only after being absorbed in the image for several seconds. The OOF yellow flower is very appealing, and adds some interesting and lively color to a relatively neutrally colored subject.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    Russ and Quincy, thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    Definitely. And real. Not oversaturated or too much contrast, no cheesy smile, and love the dead center eyes in the frame. Subtle, nice. BTW, I love the new portra 400.

Is the New Porta 400 very nice? I used it once last year. Maybe I should get some more. I read that it is sharper than the 160.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    Is the New Porta 400 very nice? I used it once last year. Maybe I should get some more. I read that it is sharper than the 160.

Most amazing film I have ever used. It's got a bit more pop than the NC, less than VC. Sharp! Actually, they say the sharpest 400 speed film ever made. I've only shot a few on 4x5 but just blown away. I blew the highlights out in the sky by at least 5 stops and there is still enough density there to scan. Can't do that with digital in one frame. Seems to like exposure at 400 speed. In the past I would always overexpose a bit, doesn't seem necessary. And it was specifically designed to be easily scanned, or so I've read. Looking forward to testing that out with a friend's Imacon in the future. At $5 to $6 a frame for film and processing on the sheet film it's going to take a little time for me to buid a nice set for scanning.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    Most amazing film I have ever used. It's got a bit more pop than the NC, less than VC. Sharp! Actually, they say the sharpest 400 speed film ever made. I've only shot a few on 4x5 but just blown away. I blew the highlights out in the sky by at least 5 stops and there is still enough density there to scan. Can't do that with digital in one frame. Seems to like exposure at 400 speed. In the past I would always overexpose a bit, doesn't seem necessary. And it was specifically designed to be easily scanned, or so I've read. Looking forward to testing that out with a friend's Imacon in the future. At $5 to $6 a frame for film and processing on the sheet film it's going to take a little time for me to buid a nice set for scanning.

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    You do capture beautiful photos of your child!
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    You do capture beautiful photos of your child!

Thank you rainbow. He has become my genre, haha.