Options

HS Track - Long Jump

londonz24londonz24 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2012 in Sports
I just wanted to get some CC back on this picture. Shot with a Canon 40d at 400 ISO, f/3.2, 1/6400 sec.
[IMG][/img]statet.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Well,

There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Which is why I suspect no one has commented.

You give is a number of the technical specs, but not the one which matters most. What lens did you use?

As for a critique.....

1. The lighting is not flattering at all. Nothing you could do about that.

2. The background is distracting. Probably nothing you could do about where the other jumpers stand.

3. The light pole coming up between his head and arm is distracting and could have been fixed with a simple step to your left.

4. Exposure looks a bit hot to me, but nothing looks blown out.

5. I think you are probably too high. I tend to shoot this event laying down

6. This is generally more pleasing when the subject is more isolated. That means long glass with big apertures. Maybe this is not possible for you.

7. I've seen one exceptional long jump video shot from a VERY low position with a VERY wide angle lens. Maybe 14mm or so. It was shot from the side, and was just stunning. But the photographer was supremely skilled. Maybe if you have that kind of gear, you could give it a go.

I don't say any of this to say you've made a poor image here. I only say it as a way to move from a good image to a GREAT one.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I dont think shooting this event straight on is the best look. Try shooting lower and if the background is clean enough, move to the right towards the sun.
  • Options
    londonz24londonz24 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the comments! I was using a 70-200mm Canon lens. I shot it at 70mm, I didn't really have a whole lot of room to move around since there was a fence about 3 feet behind the sand pit. After the pit the ground sloped down, and I tried to get as low as I could to keep the subject fully in frame. Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can put it into good use if I can get out to another track meet this year!
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Yep, that's the thing. We can offer advice as to how the shot could be improved, but sometimes there's just not much you can do depending on conditions... Under the circumstances, sounds like you did quite well. :)

londonz24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments! I was using a 70-200mm Canon lens. I shot it at 70mm, I didn't really have a whole lot of room to move around since there was a fence about 3 feet behind the sand pit. After the pit the ground sloped down, and I tried to get as low as I could to keep the subject fully in frame. Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can put it into good use if I can get out to another track meet this year!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited May 8, 2012
    The shot, from EXIF, is at 70mm. I would take advantage of the longer end of that and move farther back so that more of the pit is in the shot. Comments about maximizing the lighting are good too. f/2.8-3.2 would help a lot with bokeh and the backgrounds. Also, a follow-up shot of the landing would be awesome as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?