Is this something?

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 9, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I'm glad B.D. had that post about asking ourselves "is this something".
I have been asking myself that question since Friday.
Initially I did it high contrast but I have toned it down some.

Do I have something here?

photo6-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I like the street writing.

If it were mine, I would straighten the tabletop; crop bodies above & keep the street with the foot about to step on it - there may be a metaphor hidden there... mwink.gif
    Rags
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    You absolutely have something! Definitely a keeper. The leg on the right obviously makes it.

I've vowed not to discuss cropping anymore. I think the tilt is fine in this one to better match the writing on the street - be interesting to hear what B.D. says about that. I like the contrast (at least on my phone). More would be a mistake. Iphone?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Oh, but I hate to say this...Not really. Yes, the leg is nice. But I just don't see anything here. Maybe that's me though. As to the tilt Seastack points out - it doesn't bother me. It's slight, and almost looks like it belongs - that the setting is slightly uphill?
    But this photo strikes me more as an than an image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Thank you all,
    I see the opinions range here.
    I will keep it because I must. It has been in the back of my mind all weekend and I kept going back to it.

B.D. clarify your last sentence for me please, is it missing a word? Strikes you as what?
    Rags, I'm usually really hesitant to crop, but I want this image to work so badly, that I gave it a go.

photo6-L.jpg

Either way, it speaks to me, but I wanted to see how others felt.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    It says to me, read the writing & don't look at the other people... :D
    Rags
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Thank you all,
    I see the opinions range here.
    I will keep it because I must. It has been in the back of my mind all weekend and I kept going back to it.

B.D. clarify your last sentence for me please, is it missing a word? Strikes you as what?
    Rags, I'm usually really hesitant to crop, but I want this image to work so badly, that I gave it a go.

photo6-L.jpg

Either way, it speaks to me, but I wanted to see how others felt.

Wow, I have got to cut back on the drugs. rolleyes1.gif Seriously...it strikes me more as an image in search of some sort of purpose, than it does a purposeful image. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Photos of printed words are tough because the viewer is compelled to read the text. This overpowers other visual components of the shot. In this case, the words are not compelling and thus the shot is not compelling either.
    edited May 9, 2012
    I like the first one better with the context of people in the background. I'd say I like a horizontal format for this moree but I promised not to discuss cropping.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    not really. if you would have waited for an older dude in a nice suit with brief case with a long gait walking over the words while on his cell phone..then ..maybe!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 9, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    Photos of printed words are tough because the viewer is compelled to read the text. This overpowers other visual components of the shot. In this case, the words are not compelling and thus the shot is not compelling either.

I hate it when you make sense.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 9, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    I like the first one better with the context of people in the background. I'd say I like a horizontal format for this moree but I promised not to discuss cropping.

I must have missed a doozie of a cropping conversation rolleyes1.gif.

thanks seastack!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 9, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    not really. if you would have waited for an older dude in a nice suit with brief case with a long gait walking over the words while on his cell phone..then ..maybe!

I'll smoke whatever you're having rolleyes1.gif.
    You are out of your mind.
    It's all about the female leg in the sensible flats (at least in my mind.
    I do like your description of what would make the shot though--it really cracked me up :D--no disrepect, it's just so detailed!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 9, 2012
    I still can't figure out her hand, or if she has one. And I like photos with edges. I think this is a keeper, especially if you crop out the future.