Domino

galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited November 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey everyone...

Do any of the following strike you as a potential entry?

43593543-M.jpg

43593394-M.jpg

43593956-M.jpg

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    galla47 wrote:

43593543-M.jpg

clap.gif very clever. I really like this composition/lighting/idea/photograph.

spells competition to methumb.gif

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    num. 1&3 are both workable shots.

I would say on the first try to focus more on the first seven domino's and lead up to the falling action instead of the other way around.
    thumb.gif I would like to say that the transition from black to brown is a realy nice touch to this photo, keep this affect if you decide to shoot this one againthumb.gif .

On the third photo the only thing that I noticed is that at the bottom/center of the photo your flash seems to have been a little to harsh and it left a yellow spot on the table top. I realy like the shadowing that you created in this photo with the flash but if there is any way that you can shoot this again I would suggest that you try using a black piece of construction paper to diffuse some of the extra flash.
    I hope that I have been some help for you.
    Bob
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    num. 1&3 are both workable shots.

I would say on the first try to focus more on the first seven domino's and lead up to the falling action instead of the other way around.
    thumb.gif I would like to say that the transition from black to brown is a realy nice touch to this photo, keep this affect if you decide to shoot this one againthumb.gif .

On the third photo the only thing that I noticed is that at the bottom/center of the photo your flash seems to have been a little to harsh and it left a yellow spot on the table top. I realy like the shadowing that you created in this photo with the flash but if there is any way that you can shoot this again I would suggest that you try using a black piece of construction paper to diffuse some of the extra flash.
    I hope that I have been some help for you.
    Bob
    15524779-Ti.gif Do try it again. This could be a winner. I would go to a smaller focal length (wider angle) and get closer to the dominoes. This would enhance the perspective and give you more of a 3D effect.

Erich
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Great idea, the 1st photo seems to be the best. I agree with Bob try to get the front dominoes in focus. Whilst I too like the background colours I can't help notice the reflections of the dominoes and wonder if buffing that table up might make these stronger, or perhaps change the surface for something with high reflection. This could add something extra to the shot, but there again might not! Just an idea.
  • jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Great idea, the 1st photo seems to be the best. I agree with Bob try to get the front dominoes in focus. Whilst I too like the background colours I can't help notice the reflections of the dominoes and wonder if buffing that table up might make these stronger, or perhaps change the surface for something with high reflection. This could add something extra to the shot, but there again might not! Just an idea.
    15524779-Ti.gifTOO
    The first is fantastic, I also think you might have a winner with the focus brought forward, also Darren didn't have a bad idea with buffing the table. But again I just wanted to emphasise that the BG brown to black looks really fantastic.
    Nice Bones!
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Thanks for your comments!

I'll try the first one again. I was originally shooting for an extended exposure to try and catch the action of falling. But then I dialed up the ISO to try and catch them falling and I liked the 'freeze frame' action even better.

I'll try it with the foward focus tonight to see how that comes out. As far as the comment to use a wider angle... That one was at 18mm, which is as wide as I have.

The last one was more to be funny... dgrin style... rolleyes1.gif
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Domino Take 2
    Hey Everyone,

I truly appreciate your feedback!!

Based on your feedback, here is a re-shoot. I tried buffing the table, but I'm not sure you can tell. I won't tell you haw many darn times I lined them up!!

43743384-M.jpg
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    This one is a way better shot. I know how hard it is to set up a shot over and over again only to have something distract from the photo but I feel that if you work at this shot a little bit more to get the "perfect fall" it will be one of the finalist in the challenge.thumb.gif
    I hope that this helps, Bob.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I like this one!
    galla47 wrote:
    Hey everyone...

Do any of the following strike you as a potential entry?

43593956-M.jpg

It works
  • AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I LIKE this idea. Especially if you could put a little of the movement of #2 into #1. I would be thinking about composting multiple images together.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
    edited November 9, 2005
    your idea would work but at the same time make all of galla47's work done for nothing because the rules for this and many of the other challenges do apply. Please take the time to read the challenge rules and join in all the challenge fun, they are very fun and sometimes harder than they seem.

Bob
    Alkhemist wrote:
    I LIKE this idea. Especially if you could put a little of the movement of #2 into #1. I would be thinking about composting multiple images together.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    your idea would work but at the same time make all of galla47's work done for nothing because the rules for this and many of the other challenges do apply. Please take the time to read the challenge rules and join in all the challenge fun, they are very fun and sometimes harder than they seem.
    Since this is *not* a "no photoshop" challenge, I don't see how any of the rules would preclude the suggestion of merging two images. In fact rule 8, bullet 3 is pretty clear: "let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed". Note that the paragraph at the end of the rules about only minimal editing only applies when the chalenge is a "no photoshop" one... like challenge 26 was... see how Andy made it clear it was a "no photoshop" in the challenge intro.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited November 11, 2005
    Thank you CABBEY......sorry to all....
    First I would like to say that I goofed and would like to thank "CABBEY" for pointing this out, and for this oversite I would also like to say that I am sorry to both "ALKHEMIST" and "GALLA47" for my incorrect assumption of the challenge 51 rules, I hope that this will not happen again in the future.
    Again thank you CABBEY for being on your toes and not being affraid to bring it to my attention.
    Bob.
    cabbey wrote:
    Since this is *not* a "no photoshop" challenge, I don't see how any of the rules would preclude the suggestion of merging two images. In fact rule 8, bullet 3 is pretty clear: "let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed". Note that the paragraph at the end of the rules about only minimal editing only applies when the chalenge is a "no photoshop" one... like challenge 26 was... see how Andy made it clear it was a "no photoshop" in the challenge intro.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    No worries mate. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/