102...here dwell in safety....

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited May 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here Dwell in safety,
Here dwell alone....

2012-05-MAY-68-M.jpg

Wandering around Blandford Cemetery today, looking for magnolia (I can smell them, but the trees are so tall!!)...As I was about done, I wandered into an area that was almost open fields, watching this crow, wanting to get a bit closer, but this other bird came at him....

After he took off, I discovered the area was the Confederate Dead, 1861-1865... unidentified fields... with a few markers, although the actual memorial to the unknown soldiers is in a different spot on the grounds...

Thoughts??? THANKS!

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Here Dwell in safety,
    Here dwell alone....

2012-05-MAY-68-M.jpg

Wandering around Blandford Cemetery today, looking for magnolia (I can smell them, but the trees are so tall!!)...As I was about done, I wandered into an area that was almost open fields, watching this crow, wanting to get a bit closer, but this other bird came at him....

After he took off, I discovered the area was the Confederate Dead, 1861-1865... unidentified fields... with a few markers, although the actual memorial to the unknown soldiers is in a different spot on the grounds...

Thoughts??? THANKS!

Lovely shot! I wish there had been more wind so that the flag could be more visible. Where is this cemetery? I have a friend from Virginia who is trying to document all Confederate burials in the state.
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Thanks, Linda! This was one of those grab it while the grabbing is good shots....not enough wind!

Blandford Cemetery is in Petersburg VA...a very rich city historically speaking for the war...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Thanks, Linda! This was one of those grab it while the grabbing is good shots....not enough wind!

Blandford Cemetery is in Petersburg VA...a very rich city historically speaking for the war...

Thanks. Yep, that's the deal on these grab-it-while-you-can shots. rolleyes1.gif Nature doesn't always cooperate. But it still doesn't detract from the peaceful, poignant mood this shot evokes.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Pretty cool with the other bird gliding into the image.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited May 14, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Pretty cool with the other bird gliding into the image.

15524779-Ti.gif