Options

What memory card to get for Canon S100?

cornellgcornellg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 15, 2012 in Cameras
Hi,
I just bought a Canon Powershot S100 and was wondering what type of memory card would be best to get for it. I'm concerned that a slower card might negatively impact the camera's performance, but haven't been able to find any info on the writing speed. Any tips? Or anyone know of a better place to ask this?

Thanks,
Cornell

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012
    Most of any camera's shooting performance and image storage, relates to the first-line image storage in the camera's shot buffer. This is on-board memory and it is not directly affected by the general storage, which is SD based in the case of the Canon S100. The shot buffer transfers images to the SD card, where there are stored prior to download through the camera or through an external card reader.

SD card technology is somewhat different from CF card technology in that SD cards do not contain a "controller". As such, SD cards are somewhat less affected by camera/card combinations.

The fastest SD card technology that the Canon S100 can handle is the SDXC UHS-I type of card, so the fastest card of that designation should be the limit on transfer speed from the shot buffer to the card. (Note that the transfer speed is still affected by the camera's electronics, not by the card speed ratings, so that any camera/card combination will probably transfer slower than the card ratings might imply.)

I am reading good things about the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I and the Canon S100, for instance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Thanks ziggy53, that's very useful information and exactly what I was looking for. I'll go for the SanDisk you mentioned.
    Thanks again!
    Cornell
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Maybe you are overthinking this. A simple $20 16GB Transcend will do all you could possibly need or want from an SD card in a compact camera. I use one of them in my S95, works great.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    Yeah Manfr3d, seeing the staggering pricetag on the SanDisk SDXC card, I decided to try out a smaller and slower card I had lying about first and I was perfectly happy with the performance. So no need to dish out half the price of the camera I think.
    And I've got to say the S100 is almost too much fun! I feel like a kid in a candy store...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 15, 2012
    We use an 8GB Sandisk Ultra in our S95 - works great for RAW + JPEG. About $10 currently.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky