Black and White or Color

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited May 10, 2012 in Street and Documentary
seastackdaveandzerobw.jpg

seastackdaveandzeroc.jpg

I posted this one a little while back. B.D. encouraged me to work on it just a bit, which I did. My question now is, black and white or color? I'm leaning one way
but I'm, as always, interested in people's opinion.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    I am really torn. I like the black and white, but, believe it or not, I think I come down on the side of color. I like the muted colors and the fog, and the color of the bull dog and his wheels draws my eye right to him, where the black and white photo is so, well, black and white, that the eye wanders a bit, and is more likely to end up on the bike than on the bulldog.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Tough call. I think BW, I feel it has a greater sense of depth that I like.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Color. As BD points out, the fog mutes the colors and brings your eye to the dog. Also, to me at least, the atmospheric perspective seems better in the color version. Things in the distance seem to fade too quickly in the B&W version.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    both work..god d*mn..seastack you kick ass. I ALWAYS enjoy your stuff
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    both work..god d*mn..seastack you kick ass. I ALWAYS enjoy your stuff

Hey thanks cause I've really been working hard it for the last five years. Feel like I'm just starting to get there.

And thanks for the comments. I was leaning toward black and white, and now, the other way. I think. Tough. I'll sit on it awhile until I can look with fresher eyes. Takes forever for that new car smell to wear off.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    tough for me. A good shot but I'll go for color. Maybe fog too white - not enough overall image contrast; almost high key.
    Rags
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    I'll cast my vote for B&W. I think I have an aversion to the blown sky/fog and color, honestly, which I do not have for B&W. ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Colour for me. I get more detail. In B&W there's not quite enough contrast to catch the car on the left or detail in the buildings on the right for added depth.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography