Options

Bright Lights, Big City

T(h)orstenT(h)orsten Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited November 14, 2005 in Landscapes
I got me new camera and went out shooting at night for the first time. I can say I am quite happy with the results.

What f-stop do you recommend for shooting at night, esp. for far away objects like city skylines? I used 5.4 with iso100 for all shots.

Any comments on the exposure on the ones below?

I shot raw. Photos have been modifed slightly (crop, shadows) with "raw essentials"

Thanks, Thorsten

#1:
Exposure time : 5
Exposure program: Manual
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure bias [EV]: 0.0
F-Number: F5.6
Focal length [mm]: 126
ISO value: 100
Shutter speed : 4.50
Aperture: F5.6

43642435-M.jpg

Exposure time : 2
Focal length [mm]: 40
Shutter speed : 2.00

43642427-M.jpg

Exposure time : 2
Focal length [mm]: 40
Shutter speed : 2.00

43642431-M.jpg

Exposure time : 1
Focal length [mm]: 70
Shutter speed : 1.30

43642429-M.jpg

Exposure time : 3
Focal length [mm]: 168
Shutter speed : 3.20

43642443-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Hi,
    Excellent job, well composed and well exposed clap.gif The only thing I'd suggest is that you might want to try shooting earlier (an hour or so after sunset). The skies will be dark blue & with more ambient light you'll be able to pick up more detail in the shadows without blowing the highlights.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Is this first time shooting at night or first night shots with the new rig? Either way you did well but if this was the first time doing night shots you did very well. Good exposures, interesting compositions.

I agree with Gubbs that having the blue in the sky is more pleasing. You don't have a very large window of time where the blue shows up but put side-by-side those always seem to win in my mind.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    Night Shots Feedback
    Thanks for the feedback! I will go earlier next time to catch the dark blue sky as suggested. Guess I will have to go three times then as the shots have been taken at three different locations. Will definitely go for it.

It’s the first night shots ever and the first time with the new equipment. Just got my first DSLR last week, incl. my first tripod. D20 + 2 lenses + tripod + mem card + filters. So far I was "just" using a Canon point-and-shoot. I went on a trip to Bali, took lots of photos, found this website … and now I am bankrupt rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    T(h)orsten wrote:
    I went on a trip to Bali, took lots of photos, found this website … and now I am bankrupt rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Ah, welcome to the madness! deal.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Looked at these the other day but was at work and couldn't comment
    Glad they made their way back to the top :D

All very good photos good comp
    Love #1 best all razor sharp

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    T(h)orsten wrote:
    It’s the first night shots ever and the first time with the new equipment. Just got my first DSLR last week, incl. my first tripod. D20 + 2 lenses + tripod + mem card + filters. So far I was "just" using a Canon point-and-shoot. I went on a trip to Bali, took lots of photos, found this website … and now I am bankrupt rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    These are great! Amazing they are your first time. Nice job and welcome to the addiction!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    The clarity of the pictures is great. I remember when I just bought my dslr, it was like a baby in my hands, well not that precious, but it was still awesome. The photos are good, keep up the great work !!!!
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2005
    Thanks for the comments. I read a lot in this forum and elsewhere, but practically I am just starting to try out all these things. It's good to get some feedback as I am not sure if I got it right or not.

Of cause i took many shots that night. Normally with 3 different shutter speeds for each photo. So I deleted many later. But I guess whats just part of the process?!

Thorsten
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2005
    Night Photography
    Ahhh, now its dark blue ... and a few other colours in the water too. Thanks for the tip again. More feedback is always welcome as it seems to really help!

That is so much fun! :photo

44029585-M.jpg
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    T(h)orsten wrote:
    Ahhh, now its dark blue ... and a few other colours in the water too. Thanks for the tip again. More feedback is always welcome as it seems to really help!

That is so much fun! :photo

44029585-S.jpg

All good shots but this last one is GREAT! clap.gifclap.gif

Erich