Not a Bar Shot

RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
edited May 12, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Love this!

All those normal everyday people amongst some of the great.
    The Algonquin roundtable vs. starbucks crowd. The hard liquor on the rocks vs. a venti mocha crappola hold the whip crowd--almost makes me sick.

EDIT: BTW, your conversion and tonal ranges are gorgeous.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    good stuff!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    that's more like it. Excellent conversion & choice of subject
    Rags
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    BN.jpg

This, to me, is a terrific example of seeing a scene but not the photograph. The photograph is a square, for which the photographer should have taken about one step to the left. The left hand side then would have included the face of the woman in the lower left, and the right hand side would end in front of D. H. Lawrence. With that, the woman would have played off Virgina Woolfe, the man with pony tail links to the suited, fedoraed gent in front of Wolfe, the weird Tshirt dude becomes the center guy in the mural, Chandler, with his raised arm, connects to the polo-shirted guy - also with high forehead and glasses, also with raised arm, and Lawrence contrasts with Mr. Shades. Also, cropped this way, we see the people larger, and the weird T shirt becomes more of a modern, jarring element contrasting with the 30s literary scene.

And yes, nice conversion and tonality.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the critique BD. Yes, in a perfect world all that would be true. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world, there wasn't room to step left or step back to expand the view, and I was lucky to get this shot at all. The only way to fill the squares you listed would have been to get everybody to stop what they were doing and pose. But you're right: everything you mentioned would have been nice, had it been possible.

Hey! I love it! And I'll bet you love it too, BD. I just noticed the change of name. Nobody's going to have to try to define street photography any longer, and everything on here is going to fit inside the name of the forum. HOORAY!!!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Wonderful image Russ. I keep coming back to view it. The B&W conversion is spot on.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Yes beautiful B & W as usual Russ. Great image !
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    This, to me, is a terrific example of seeing a scene but not the photograph. The photograph is a square, for which the photographer should have taken about one step to the left. The left hand side then would have included the face of the woman in the lower left, and the right hand side would end in front of D. H. Lawrence. With that, the woman would have played off Virgina Woolfe, the man with pony tail links to the suited, fedoraed gent in front of Wolfe, the weird Tshirt dude becomes the center guy in the mural, Chandler, with his raised arm, connects to the polo-shirted guy - also with high forehead and glasses, also with raised arm, and Lawrence contrasts with Mr. Shades. Also, cropped this way, we see the people larger, and the weird T shirt becomes more of a modern, jarring element contrasting with the 30s literary scene.

And yes, nice conversion and tonality.mwink.gif

Your comment has been on my mind since you posted it.
    In all honestly, I can't imagine ever seeing all that in that crowded enviornment w so much clutter and seeing it fast before anyone moves.
    Since I am being honest, I do think I have a good eye but half the time I feel like it's luck, I can't imagine seeing that scene as you described it and then shooting it. Guess that separates the good from the greats.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks, everybody. The mural was pretty powerful stuff, and it would have been nice, as BD suggested, to arrange all the people to perfection before I shot, but, as usual with street photography, it was now or never. Actually, the photograph's not a square. It's four-thirds on an E-P1 with a 25mm Summilux at f/1.4. I think about BD's critique and remember that there was no room to move left or back, so changing the framing was out of the question, but I wonder if I should have waited a second longer for the guy in shades carrying his coffee to get to the left of the guy with the polo shirt. Hindsight is always 20-20, but there's no guarantee that the scene wouldn't have dissolved completely in one more second. So you press your button and you takes your chances. I probably should have banged off a second and third shot, but I was being jostled.
    edited May 11, 2012
    ...half the time I feel like it's luck.

Liz, I think it depends on how you define luck. If by "luck" you mean something like tossing the bones on a craps table, street photography's not really luck. But if you mean that hard work and enough study of the masters to give you an intuitive grasp of graphical composition can put you in a position to take advantage of a transient scene, then you can call the transient scene luck, but not the photograph that results. Your own posts demonstrate this again and again.

If you haven't already looked at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qZ3Z8shZE&feature=related, you might want to check it out.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Wonderful shot, Russ.

With that understanding that I like it a lot, I would have liked a different exploration of the shot because the main subject in your shot is the mural with the people complementing it. I would have liked the opposite tack to have some people the main subject with the mural secondary. Not sure if it is doable or would require a different lens, but that is what first came to mind on viewing this.
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks, Dave. To me it boils down to what Liz said: "All those normal everyday people amongst some of the great." That's what caught my eye. When I look at the picture I don't see the mural as central, or the people as central; I see the relationship, maybe I should call it the contrast, between the two.
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Pure $$$....Killer stuff !!!