New to the tiny world - first post

orangeandblueorangeandblue Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 13, 2012 in Holy Macro
Hi all. I've been inspired by the amazing captures that appear here, and seem to have caught the macro bug. Here is one of my first shots of an animal subject. Tons of these fellows roam my basement.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336585009.621027.jpg

Taken with a Canon T3i, Canon 100mm macro, and a speedlite 430ii with home made diffiuser

TravisM

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012
    Welcome to the forum Travis, it becomes very addictive rolleyes1.gif

like composition, a good first shot
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Lovely spider capture- no idea on ID but it's a male- welcome to the forum
    Brian v.
  • orangeandblueorangeandblue Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2012
    Thank you. You both have been great inspiration and generous sources of information!

As far as I can tell form local resources (Washington state, US) it is a male Callobius, a common house critter in these parts. One of the beneficial house spiders, not the nasty venomous kinds we get here (brown recluse and hobo).

One of the things I have enjoyed about researching this forum is how you take the time to know and identify your subjects. One more detail that adds to the quality. Before I took this photo I would have had no idea what kind of spider this was. Once I had the image with some clear details I was inspired to dig further and see if I could identify the critter. So it becomes a learning experience on many levels. I'm looking forward to further learning!

Thanks again!

Travis
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    The little fathead has his boxing gloves on backwards... Haha..
    Nice shot... & welcome...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com