Options

So glad to be back.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited May 15, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Hello, guys! Finally, after a long time trying to remember my password so I could log back in to dgrin I was able to do so just this morning. :D I am settled now here in the Philippines and hopefully I'd be able to share some images from this side of the globe to you all.

Here is the first image that I would like to share and the story behind the shot.

During Lenten season in the Philippines (Holy Week) most Filipinos have a tradition of visiting as many churches as they could and pray to their patron saints. They call this tradition "Visita Iglesias." It so happened that during this Holy Week holiday I was with a friend of mine whom I am mentoring and teaching photography on a one-on-one basis. We're both fond of taking sunset pictures and we saw that it would give us a good chance to capture a nice sunset image if we can go to the tourist spot towards Taal Lake. So, we decided to go to the lake. While driving towards the lake, we were greeted by heavy traffic. Thinking ahead, we knew that the sun would be resting shortly on the horizon so I asked him if he knows any church nearby that we can use as our venue instead. He knows a place so within 5 minutes we were in a church and was able to take some pictures both inside and out. I taught him the basic skills on shooting in low-light, what camera settings to use, how to use the camera intuitively so he can concentrate more on his composition and the subject. Once he grasped the idea, I decided to ask him to try his new found knowledge and look for some interesting subjects to capture with his camera. As he was eyeing a group of religious people praying near the altar, I decided to look around. I saw some young people holding hands and maybe praying together so that their relationship would blossom and get stronger. I saw a family, too. Not praying but just like me was more fond of taking pictures rather than appreciating the essence of the holiday. I decided to go out of the church and went to a smaller nearby chapel instead. Inside the small praying building I saw this lone woman trying to lit a candle. I knew immediately that there is a good chance of a nice photograph to capture here. I set my ISO to 800 even though I know that the camera's digital noise would be horrible but what can I do? I'd rather have a noisy shot than not to have the shot at all. I set my camera to the widest aperture that I can use at 70mm (I am using an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens). Even at the widest aperture setting and at ISO 800 I can only get down to 1/25 second shutter speed. I braced my camera and tuck my elbows close to my body for a firmer posture and fired 2 shots. This one is the better of the two. I guess I got lucky and I was able to make a usable shot out of this using lightroom and photoshop on the post-processing. When me and my "student" went back to our dorm and loaded up our images in lightroom I saw that he was able to use the tips I gave him and got some pretty good shots, too. Thanks for reading the story and for viewing. Smiley.gif

7152146737_a3c6b9142b_b.jpg

Nikon D70 using an 18-70mm lens. Exposure at ISO 800, f/4.5 at 1/25 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited May 10, 2012
    Welcome back, Jiro! wave.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome, David. thumb.gif

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    It's terrific news, Jiro, that you're back in camp with us. I've missed you and your work a great deal. The newer members to Dgrin are in for a treat...you're one of the best.

BTW, I love the way you handled the light in this shot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    It's terrific news, Jiro, that you're back in camp with us. I've missed you and your work a great deal. The newer members to Dgrin are in for a treat...you're one of the best.

BTW, I love the way you handled the light in this shot.

Tom

Thanks a lot for the warm words and welcome, my friend. I am also excited to share whatever I can with the gang now that I am on the other side of the pond. :D I'm still overwhelmed by the influx of great images that I am seeing here at DGrin since I was gone. Great work, guys! thumb.gif

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I was wondering what had happened to you, but was afraid to ask. It's great to have you back! Good shot btw! Welcome.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Yay - you are back...wondered where you were! Sounds like you are experiencing quite a life change. the lighting is awesome...especially after reading your set up. Can't wait to see more! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    I was wondering what had happened to you, but was afraid to ask. It's great to have you back! Good shot btw! Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, Juano. :D
    Eia wrote: »
    Yay - you are back...wondered where you were! Sounds like you are experiencing quite a life change. the lighting is awesome...especially after reading your set up. Can't wait to see more! wings.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome, Eia. Life changing it was actually. I had to go back to the Philippines and start all over again. Anyway, even though I am miles apart it's good to be able to get in touch with you guys again and hopefully share some nice images from this side of the globe. Cheers! thumb.gif

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Welcome back, and that's a fine shot!
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Welcome back, and that's a fine shot!

Thank you very much, Don. :Dthumb.gif

• Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Good Morning Jiro, It's good to see you posting again on Dgrin - you have been missed.

I found your 'storyline' to this shot very interesting - the way you plan ahead with your photography (especially as it resulted in a very fine shot) - a good lesson.

Cheers for now, Richard.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 14, 2012
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Good Morning Jiro, It's good to see you posting again on Dgrin - you have been missed.

I found your 'storyline' to this shot very interesting - the way you plan ahead with your photography (especially as it resulted in a very fine shot) - a good lesson.

Cheers for now, Richard.

Thank you very much, Richard. I never knew that I have a lot of good friends, here. Thanks, bro'. thumb.gif:D
    Angelo wrote: »
    welcome back Jiro

Thank you very much, Angelo. Cheers! thumb.gif:D

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Welcome back :D Glad to see you posting again. This shot is fabulous thumb.gif

I'm looking forward to all the great photos you'll be taking in the Philippines.