http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    and a very cool shot
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    This is a single exposure photograph. Only basic adjustments of curves, saturation, sharpening and crop done in PP. Originally posted in Documentary. Moved here by the Moderator of that forum.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Neil this is just wonderful work thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

May I ask how you do this in one single exposure?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 11, 2012
    So hookers have special parking privileges in Tasmania? How progressive. lol3.gif

Long exposure + flash?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 11, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Neil this is just wonderful work thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

May I ask how you do this in one single exposure?

15524779-Ti.gif

inquiring minds want to know

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Mary, Richard & Angelo

Many thanks for your encouragement!

The "how" is very straightforward and a lot of fun. Richard you are correct. It was an exposure of 2.5 seconds, with flash firing on 2nd curtain. It was about 5.30pm (autumn) and nearly dark. I used 40D with 70-200mm f4L IS USM, and onboard 580EXII. The notices were on a wall in front of and a little above and to the right of the vehicle, and could not be got in frame together with the back of the car. I exposed for the ambient on the notices (almost no light at all), kept the aperture small (f32) since I wanted a DOF of at least 10ft at FL of 100mm, and manually focused on the notices. I was handholding, IS on. I opened the shutter on the notices and kept it there for about 1.5sec (the viewfinder went black of course as soon as the shutter opened), then swept the lens quickly to point at where I thought the number plate would be more or less centre frame for the flash to fire immediately before the shutter closed. That's it!

As I said, it was nearly dark, the wall was a dark grey, the ground surface was black asphalt, and the car itself was black. The notices were black and white. So the only colours which were picked out were the red of the rear lights reflectors and the yellow of the number plate, making it look like a B&W with selective color, but actually completely as shot!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Mary, Richard & Angelo

Many thanks for your encouragement!

The "how" is very straightforward and a lot of fun. Richard you are correct. It was an exposure of 2.5 seconds, with flash firing on 2nd curtain. It was about 5.30pm (autumn) and nearly dark. I used 40D with 70-200mm f4L IS USM, and onboard 580EXII. The notices were on a wall in front of and a little above and to the right of the vehicle, and could not be got in frame together with the back of the car. I exposed for the ambient on the notices (almost no light at all), kept the aperture small (f32) since I wanted a DOF of at least 10ft at FL of 100mm, and manually focused on the notices. I was handholding, IS on. I opened the shutter on the notices and kept it there for about 1.5sec (the viewfinder went black of course as soon as the shutter opened), then swept the lens quickly to point at where I thought the number plate would be more or less centre frame for the flash to fire immediately before the shutter closed. That's it!

As I said, it was nearly dark, the wall was a dark grey, the ground surface was black asphalt, and the car itself was black. The notices were black and white. So the only colours which were picked out were the red of the rear lights reflectors and the yellow of the number plate, making it look like a B&W with selective color, but actually completely as shot!

Neil

Thank you Neil for sharing your technique with us :D Looks like I'll need to get a flash. The one thing I've not purchased.